Pigeon Talk

Cave man gave you good advice, but I couldn't sell a homer for $40 here.

I sell mine for $10. I don't come close to breaking even, but that's okay. I like to get people started.

You will learn, pigeon people are known to be mighty proud of their birds. So for a buyer to go off someone's word of your birds being a great bloodline and their great race results is a bit risky. That is info passed from two people to the buyer. This is NOT to discredit your birds bloodline, they look like great birds. But I am just saying a racer will take the info given as a grain of salt. Your main market will be for fanciers looking for pets\a casual hobby. I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound rude. I am just saying without a pedigree or you racing your own birds, racing fanciest won't be interested in putting down much money. I hope you do get the price you want though!

I am so sorry to hear this man... I will be praying for you and your family.

Oh no I totally agree. I'd be selling him as a "retired old man and here's also two ladies you can use but please make sure to love and kiss this old man goodnight he's a good pigeon" haha xD

I *KNOW* he and his daughters are good lines, I hope to find someone who would use them but he would not be wasted as someone's pet, he's been a lovely bird both for handling, showing, and being the most fantastic pigeon dad I have ever owned (he loves his babies so much)

I've got people on craigslist selling pigeons for literally $200 a pair (skycutter pigeons?) and homers for $40 each and I just... that felt wrong? I'll be selling them now as either a pen/quad (2 ladies, 1 old cock + 1 baby) or as the whole 5 of them (2 ladies, 1 old cock + both of the new babies) so I'll super cut someone a good deal as long as they'll love em and care for them : D All of the pigeon people I've met on craigslist so far have been super nice, one guy was SO excited when he bought two red birm rollers from me saying how nice quality they were and he can't wait to get them into his loft, breeding and flying and he told me stories and it was just kinda nice to talk pigeon with someone, due to the pandemic its been so long since I was at a show.

I was thinking probably $60-$75 for all of the homers (and honestly, I'm a little worried now, I saw one of my rollers on the homer nest >.> so they might be homer-roller squab...) thats like $15 or less per bird, and that's two bags of feed for me! And thanks, we'll hopefully get through this all, it's hard but yknow "a day at a time" or so thats what everyone keeps telling me haha xD

Oh no I totally agree. I'd be selling him as a "retired old man and here's also two ladies you can use but please make sure to love and kiss this old man goodnight he's a good pigeon" haha xD

I *KNOW* he and his daughters are good lines, I hope to find someone who would use them but he would not be wasted as someone's pet, he's been a lovely bird both for handling, showing, and being the most fantastic pigeon dad I have ever owned (he loves his babies so much)

I've got people on craigslist selling pigeons for literally $200 a pair (skycutter pigeons?) and homers for $40 each and I just... that felt wrong? I'll be selling them now as either a pen/quad (2 ladies, 1 old cock + 1 baby) or as the whole 5 of them (2 ladies, 1 old cock + both of the new babies) so I'll super cut someone a good deal as long as they'll love em and care for them : D All of the pigeon people I've met on craigslist so far have been super nice, one guy was SO excited when he bought two red birm rollers from me saying how nice quality they were and he can't wait to get them into his loft, breeding and flying and he told me stories and it was just kinda nice to talk pigeon with someone, due to the pandemic its been so long since I was at a show.

I was thinking probably $60-$75 for all of the homers (and honestly, I'm a little worried now, I saw one of my rollers on the homer nest >.> so they might be homer-roller squab...) thats like $15 or less per bird, and that's two bags of feed for me! And thanks, we'll hopefully get through this all, it's hard but yknow "a day at a time" or so thats what everyone keeps telling me haha xD
Don't feel bad about getting back some of the money you put into them over the years. Feed is expensive nowadays, and it's a lot of work to look after them. Plus if you go on the low side with the price, it's more likely that a dog trainer will try to take them. If someone pays more money, it's like a small insurance that they will look after the bird better when it's in their possession. Someone pays 5-10 bucks... hmmm no big loss, I'll just get another. Someone pays 50+ dollars... hmmm I better take care of this thing!!. On a side note... did you possibly get that cock bird from a guy named Bruce?

Don't feel bad about getting back some of the money you put into them over the years. Feed is expensive nowadays, and it's a lot of work to look after them. Plus if you go on the low side with the price, it's more likely that a dog trainer will try to take them. If someone pays more money, it's like a small insurance that they will look after the bird better when it's in their possession. Someone pays 5-10 bucks... hmmm no big loss, I'll just get another. Someone pays 50+ dollars... hmmm I better take care of this thing!!. On a side note... did you possibly get that cock bird from a guy named Bruce?
I don't think so. It was a breeder in southwest Washington, he may be retired now (not sure) but I visited his home once on a road trip and took a tour, it was really cool. He basically had a second house that was his loft (it was two stories!)! He also had some diamond doves which were gorgeous. I can try to find his name later today after work

I don't think so. It was a breeder in southwest Washington, he may be retired now (not sure) but I visited his home once on a road trip and took a tour, it was really cool. He basically had a second house that was his loft (it was two stories!)! He also had some diamond doves which were gorgeous. I can try to find his name later today after work
Oh ok... the guy I was thinking of is in Prosser I believe... I think that's the southeast side.

Uh oh, not sure what happened here. I have an established couple that has raised a few sets of babies. Now I see 3 eggs in their nest.
If it’s another hen that added the third egg, will she share sitting duties, so I can figure out who she is? Or is it more likely that the same hen laid all 3?

Ive been seeing this pure white pigeon hanging around a house where some neighbors who used to have pigeon lived. She has a black leg band, so that confirms that she came from the neighbors. I assume she escaped from her new home and came back. I'm hoping shes getting enough food. Maybe she'll join the ferals? There's a bird feeder in the backyard of the house but it looks very small for a pigeon to use, so :idunno

Ive been seeing this pure white pigeon hanging around a house where some neighbors who used to have pigeon lived. She has a black leg band, so that confirms that she came from the neighbors. I assume she escaped from her new home and came back. I'm hoping shes getting enough food. Maybe she'll join the ferals? There's a bird feeder in the backyard of the house but it looks very small for a pigeon to use, so :idunno
Why aren't you trying to trap her? Her chances for survival as a wild bird are low.

I think it's more likely a second hen laid in that nest and she may not try to sit.
Time wise, when did the third egg appear re the first two?

I might suspect a hen with a nearby nest. I had one lay in her next-door neighbor nest box. I'm not sure if she realized her error.lol
Uh oh, not sure what happened here. I have an established couple that has raised a few sets of babies. Now I see 3 eggs in their nest.
If it’s another hen that added the third egg, will she share sitting duties, so I can figure out who she is? Or is it more likely that the same hen laid all 3?

Why aren't you trying to trap her? Her chances for survival as a wild bird are low.
Eeesh.... I would, but keeping Bird is already a bit much for my family, and Kiwi and Peach are gearing up for batch two. I really wish I could help her, but I'm not sure if it would go over well if I just popped on home like "Hey look, I got a NEW pigeon!" it would probably be "Nope, nah ah, no more, put it back its fine." Im the one pigeon nerd around here.

Back
Top Bottom