Pigeon Talk

Anyone have pigeons who disowned an older squab? I've got a 5 day old baby who seems to have removed from the nest, and the parents are ignoring it (when I put it back). Just went out, looks like someone may have bit him, he's very cold and empty. I don't have the stuff to feed him right now so I'm warming him up and I'm hoping the mom will accept him after that... I'm honestly kinda sad about it though. I'm not super hopeful.

He was totally fine yesterday, now it seems like his neck doesn't have a lot of strength... I assumed it was due to the empty-ish crop and being cold but could something have happened? stepped on? parents sense something? I haven't ever had pigeons ignore a baby, especially not one they cared for for 5 days already...

6B3A0B83-CA39-470F-901E-AC8495640E7C.jpeg
Can someone help me identify breed please? Btw they are squeakers

Anyone have pigeons who disowned an older squab? I've got a 5 day old baby who seems to have removed from the nest, and the parents are ignoring it (when I put it back). Just went out, looks like someone may have bit him, he's very cold and empty. I don't have the stuff to feed him right now so I'm warming him up and I'm hoping the mom will accept him after that... I'm honestly kinda sad about it though. I'm not super hopeful.

He was totally fine yesterday, now it seems like his neck doesn't have a lot of strength... I assumed it was due to the empty-ish crop and being cold but could something have happened? stepped on? parents sense something? I haven't ever had pigeons ignore a baby, especially not one they cared for for 5 days already...
This is just a random suggestion, since I’ve yet to have my pigeon hatch eggs, but could you offer the baby to a different pair? Would they adopt him?

This is just a random suggestion, since I’ve yet to have my pigeon hatch eggs, but could you offer the baby to a different pair? Would they adopt him?
It's morning and I haven't gone out to check yet... But while that'd normally be an option I only have to pairs nesting right now. The Homers (which had two babies, one of which is the one I'm worried about) the other is my pair of red Rollers who are on one much smaller baby (about a day or two younger). The reds are damn near feral (bought, not raised unfortunately) so they hate me much more, and their baby is so small... Not to mention the fact that the homer baby is so big I'm not sure the roller parents would be able to sit on or feed it properly either.

My mom warmed up the squab last night with a heating pad, his neck was still a little weird but I put him back with the sibling and they sat there (his little peeps broke my damn heart) the mom eventually got back on them and I went to bed as it was already 11pm at this point. Generally if you have multiple pairs you can move babies around if they're similar in size or age, although of course my pigeons don't like to sync up... Unless it's winter and snowing haha

Remember how I said that I wouldn't buy anymore pigeons unless they were homers or modenas? Well I went to the Lucasville swap meet and came home with another pair of homers and a pair of modenas! I feel like there were more pigeons than there were chickens! My mother also got a pair of giant runts that were priced at a hundred dollars! There's a funny story behind the modenas that I bought: you know I've been searching for modenas for about two and a half years? Well, a friend of mine accidentally got two modenas when they bought someone's roller flock! Accidentally!

Remember how I said that I wouldn't buy anymore pigeons unless they were homers or modenas? Well I went to the Lucasville swap meet and came home with another pair of homers and a pair of modenas! I feel like there were more pigeons than there were chickens! My mother also got a pair of giant runts that were priced at a hundred dollars! There's a funny story behind the modenas that I bought: you know I've been searching for modenas for about two and a half years? Well, a friend of mine accidentally got two modenas when they bought someone's roller flock! Accidentally!
So is your friend giving you the modenas? :)

Back
Top Bottom