Well the problem was that I want logged in. 😅

Attachments

• 631F7CC8-C442-438F-B85D-4E808A9F7FB5.jpeg
    631F7CC8-C442-438F-B85D-4E808A9F7FB5.jpeg
    981.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 7EE57CDB-7C8B-4D1E-AE60-4B4829851DEB.jpeg
    7EE57CDB-7C8B-4D1E-AE60-4B4829851DEB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
So, good news and bad news about the homer baby that was abandoned! (Good) Mom took him back, new theory is that he walked away and got cold and mom didn't want a cold baby? Either way I doubt he ate much that day and he's much smaller than his sibling! But both are being fed and sat on!
IMG_20210426_160255054.jpg
Bad news... It's confirmed, they're half homer, half roller haha! The small baby is Checker and the bigger baby is a Opal Checker... All of my homers are TCheck so opal isn't possible. I do however have an opal roller who I saw on the nest very early on. In all honesty I just thought he was confused, he's very very young and I saw him making out with another bird! And didn't see him on the nest any time afterwards, but Maury would confirm it, he is the father. IMG_20210426_160233820.jpg
And dad bird Lane, who is honestly the least interesting looking opal I've had hatch xD but I'm curious how these babies will turn out now... They were growing so fast I was sure they were Homer but genetics don't lie haha
IMG_20210311_115017432_HDR.jpg

I had a hawk smack my front window trying to catch the indoor birds the other day, then turn around and try it again, very bold when they're hungry.
I've had them smack into the aviaries while I was standing there, and once a Cooper's attacked a flock of birds feeding at my feet. They're like flying weasels - brazen and tenacious.

0430211818_HDR.jpg

So I had this pair of pigeons last winter lay a clutch of 4 eggs and I asked on here and we decided it must have been another pair that I had who was starting to nest near them that laid the eggs in the wrong nest. Well none of those eggs ever hatched after a bad cold snap. Fast forward to this spring and they have 4 eggs again but this time there are only 2 pairs of birds in this area and the other pair also is setting eggs, they have 2. So I went and got a flash light to candle them and check if maybe they were old eggs already in the nest that I just somehow never realized and they are sitting on them and their new eggs. After candling them they are all fertile and developing and look to be around the same number of days in maybe a few days difference between the most developed and least. I checked my other pairs eggs and they were also both fertile so I'm not sure what is going on here and am now thinking the hen must have laid 4 eggs. I guess we will have a better idea of what is going on once they hatch. If they hatch. The pair is this mutt with feathered legs and my single black saddled racing hen that I still havent been able to find an actual mate for. The other pair is just two normal gray racing homers who have produced dozens of birds for me this past year so I know for sure that pair is male and female. Maybe this pair is two females but in the past when they have laid, besides the one other instance, it was always just 2 eggs and the babies looked like a mix of the parents with feathered legs.

View attachment 2652360
So I had this pair of pigeons last winter lay a clutch of 4 eggs and I asked on here and we decided it must have been another pair that I had who was starting to nest near them that laid the eggs in the wrong nest. Well none of those eggs ever hatched after a bad cold snap. Fast forward to this spring and they have 4 eggs again but this time there are only 2 pairs of birds in this area and the other pair also is setting eggs, they have 2. So I went and got a flash light to candle them and check if maybe they were old eggs already in the nest that I just somehow never realized and they are sitting on them and their new eggs. After candling them they are all fertile and developing and look to be around the same number of days in maybe a few days difference between the most developed and least. I checked my other pairs eggs and they were also both fertile so I'm not sure what is going on here and am now thinking the hen must have laid 4 eggs. I guess we will have a better idea of what is going on once they hatch. If they hatch. The pair is this mutt with feathered legs and my single black saddled racing hen that I still havent been able to find an actual mate for. The other pair is just two normal gray racing homers who have produced dozens of birds for me this past year so I know for sure that pair is male and female. Maybe this pair is two females but in the past when they have laid, besides the one other instance, it was always just 2 eggs and the babies looked like a mix of the parents with feathered legs.
How interesting! I will definitely be waiting for more updates. :)

View attachment 2652360
Interesting. My best guess is two hens laid those eggs, while the male who is sitting on eggs with a different hen fertilized. Pigeons aren't as faithful as people make them out to be. Keep us updated, hopefully all 4 babies survive. That's a lot of feeding for 2 birds.

Back
Top Bottom