Pigeon Talk

Yeah they are a domesticated animal, the comparison to a feral puppy is totally accurate. Mine has a cage that I only close it when I am cooking. She uses it like a bedroom. Out and about all day, but she goes there to sleep, she lays her eggs there, and her food/water is there.

First he started squeaking at me for attention, and now he preens me! :love I imagine Squabble will have a very similar setup to yours.
A1304FA2-A646-413D-847C-385BC4525351.jpeg
ACA75F23-C196-422C-957C-8708D6172BD0.jpeg
758E4DEE-0984-4774-BC32-CB1C313A4B2A.jpeg
21231987-3548-4AD1-B190-1F56DAE7A4A3.jpeg

Is it true that if you can hold a pigeon’s beak without them pulling away, that they are a female? Or is that a myth and more just the temperament of the bird?

As this thing is absolutely daft:
You can hold any pigeon's beak, it mimics being fed or "kissed" by another pigeon so it also is a form of Bonding with them. If you hold beak & gently motion up & down, they like it.

You can hold any pigeon's beak, it mimics being fed or "kissed" by another pigeon so it also is a form of Bonding with them. If you hold beak & gently motion up & down, they like it.
I do that regularly with Squabble as I found it adorable... 😆 Alongside with mimicking social preening, no wonder he has warmed up to me so quick then!

IMG_20210509_181400326.jpg
IMG_20210509_181314881.jpg

This baby just keeps getting more and more pretty... I'll probably have to hold him back and see how he matures >.> Prettiest opal I've had in years and it was an accidental breeding, damn xD I'm loving the shoulder patterning, I hope it persists through his first molt! This baby is beer shy, may just end up being a hen <3

View attachment 2660768View attachment 2660770
This baby just keeps getting more and more pretty... I'll probably have to hold him back and see how he matures >.> Prettiest opal I've had in years and it was an accidental breeding, damn xD I'm loving the shoulder patterning, I hope it persists through his first molt! This baby is beer shy, may just end up being a hen <3

Never heard of an opal before! He/she is absolutely gorgeous. 😲

Never heard of an opal before! He/she is absolutely gorgeous. 😲
Its a pretty cool color gene! I'll be honest I don't know a ton ton about it but I'm pretty sure the kind I have is dominant opal, it started with a pretty boy I bought! Funny enough the girl I bought him from was PERSISTENT he WASN'T an opal!! Said he was bronze but he and his wife we're $20 and the hen (Olivia, who I still have) was just gorgeous in body type! Together they made Delaney (whose a super bland opal) and Delaney bred with this pretty Ash Red cock I had (who passed due to fireworks last fourth of july, longer story) they made that pretty lame grey opal boy who fathered that mix breed!

Now that you know my entire life story hahahaha, it's a pretty variable color! Just like almond, bronzing and pied, it's a pretty amazing! I wish this guy had some pied markings that'd make it perfect <3

If all of my pigeons were the same color I could Very easily pick who to downsize, but I've the amount of different color genetics in my loft... Ice, Almond, Pied, Grizzle, Opal, Bronze/Tort, and even though it's not my absolute favorite I can't imagine not having recessive red! I've got one hen whose got fully muffed and has a rad chest crest (chinese owl) how am I supposed to get under 20 pigeons??? Ahh!! xD

Four hens on 2 eggs each in the nesting boxes and of course 2 more hens decided the floor was a nice spot with one egg each today and hoping for a second each tomorrow. One pair is an ash red and a red grizzle so I’m hoping to get some more reds or grizzles out of them! This is actually the cocks on the nest but I think you get my point haha

Attachments

• A63906D1-3932-47F7-9BDF-02EC07453516.jpeg
    A63906D1-3932-47F7-9BDF-02EC07453516.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Four hens on 2 eggs each in the nesting boxes and of course 2 more hens decided the floor was a nice spot with one egg each today and hoping for a second each tomorrow. One pair is an ash red and a red grizzle so I’m hoping to get some more reds or grizzles out of them! This is actually the cocks on the nest but I think you get my point haha
You have a nice setup. :thumbsup Did you build those fronts yourself??

Back
Top Bottom