Pigeons breeding?

cutechick2010

Songster
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
Illinois 20 chicken years
I am very new to pigeons, and I have two that are nesting. The female (hen?) has laid two eggs, and sort of appears to be sitting on them. But since I hadn't expected eggs, they don't have a proper nest and the eggs are sort of getting rolled around in their little house. What I need to know is, should I set up something for a nest, and if so, what are some ideas on what I should use? If I move her eggs and put them in a different container, will they stop sitting on them? Should I raise the protein level in their feed or anything? Thanks!

Do not move the eggs. In my experience, pigeons are quick to abandon their eggs if they are moved. Place approx. 6" pieces of straw in their pen, and they will probably construct a nest. If this round fails, next time provide a bowl and nesting materials, and they will construct their own nest. Good luck.

Listen to Sourland it is not his first rodeo. Give them a bit a nesting material like he prescribed and do not move the eggs or squabs until they are 3 or 4 weeks old. In fact I would wait until they are almost eating on their own.

I lost 2 beautiful squabs this year just by being impatient. My best birds for some reason started nesting on the floor and refuse to use my nest bowls. Now that I know that I am perfectly find with it!!!

Do not move the eggs. In my experience, pigeons are quick to abandon their eggs if they are moved. Place approx. 6" pieces of straw in their pen, and they will probably construct a nest. If this round fails, next time provide a bowl and nesting materials, and they will construct their own nest. Good luck.

Ok, thanks. That is what I was worried about, is her leaving the eggs if I messed with them. They do have some straw in their little house, but a lot of it got kicked out before the eggs were laid. Should I add more and let them do whatever they want with it?

I have two eggs just laid but I am moving my pigeons to bigger cage but everytime babys are big they lay 2 more how to move them?

@ Shellik

Your squabs if they are able to leave the nest bowl and chase their parents for food should be OK. You newly laid eggs are in danger of being lost.

I would move nest and all trying not to disturb the nest. Try to set things up at the same height in their new digs. If they laid in a nest bowl that will increase your odds. Good luck! Some birds are more tolerant then others and if luck is with you things might be fine. I would however be prepared to loose these particular clutch of eggs. I hope things work out for you..

Last edited:
Sorry to threadjack, but I have questions. What care does a squab need once its out of the nest? At what age should it be separated from its parents, if at all? At what age should it be paired with another bird?

Sorry to threadjack, but I have questions. What care does a squab need once its out of the nest? At what age should it be separated from its parents, if at all? At what age should it be paired with another bird?

You want to dip its beak in the main water source (or make a temporary one on the ground until it can fly good) and let it take a drink. DON'T dip the beak past the cere, or it might suck up water in the nostrils and die. You should also put some feed on the ground, maybe scatter it a bit, to encourage them to start eating.
Yes it should be separated. I don't know the *exact* age, but once the dad stops feeding and they eat only seed, then you should. If there's adequate space then separating shouldn't be needed.
They start breeding at 5-7 months, but will bill and bond with eachother soon as their together. So once you know each others gender, put 'em together :D

Back
Top Bottom