Pigeons for beginners?

They're home. :) I got a beautiful, big white pigeon with black eyes, named "Birdo". I believe Birdo is a male, as he has made some cooing sounds.

I also got a white with brown splotches smaller pigeon, who I'm thinking may be a little younger than Birdo as she/he is smaller. Named "Pidgey". Pidgey makes baby bird "peep peep peep" sounds. The breeder said they're about 2-3 months old.

They look in great shape, all his birds were. Healthy and happy. They seem a little stunned at the new surroundings but I've seen both eat a little bit already and are enjoying playing "musical perches", LOL!

Pics to come!

Thank you! If they end up both being males, is this ok? Will they fight, or be unhappy together?

I'm ASSUMING Birdo is a male... females don't coo, correct?

Great!
And actually, no. Females do coo a little, when nesting, courting ect. And if he is still in the "squeaker" stage than it will be a little longer before you can be sure what he is. They will most likely get along being the only ones and growing up together, but you really never know. Pigeons tend to have individual personalities to a certain degree, so you'll just have to wait and see. Good luck.

Good to know, thanks for the info!

They seem to be settling in nicely now. Eating and drinking very well. Is it ok to give them ad lib food, or should they only get a certain amount per day? Right now I just keep their dish filled 24/7.

They're not really fighting now, except if one decides it wants the other's perch. There's room for both of them on both perches, but I guess they don't like to share, LOL!
lol.png

Yea, they do that. lol
For the feed, they can get fat. But nothing wrong with them having it all the time as long as you watch their weight, and make sure rodents aren't getting it at night. I just feed two times a day, morn and eve. I know good breeder who just feed once a day. And if you do, do it at night so that it helps them stay warmer. If raising babies, which I believe you don't plan on doing, some people will let them have feed all day.

GL

Back
Top Bottom