pigeons to train

spotsplus

Songster
11 Years
Sep 29, 2008
Tarboro, NC
I have had birds for years and now am looking into pigeons and training them for commercials .I work with lots of animals for commercials and am getting lots of calls for pigeons. I would like advice on what type is best for training, calmness and friendly personality. Best is the type that look like a normal city pigeon. Any advice on which type is best? How about care- anything above and beyond the normal type of bird care? These birds would be my pets that would have "a job" a half dozen times a year with daily interaction by me taking care of them.
Tammie

From the information I have found. Lone pigeons work best because they "bond" with the owners and want to please.

Others say you pick the most friendliest and work with them EVERY DAY. gain their trust, bond with them and they will be trainable.

like with other animals "clicker","whistle", "and treat" training and /or a combination works well.

That being said, remember this.... "Never work with kids or animals in show business"

A guy I know got hired and his very docile and calm doves WENT NUZ on set....you never know.... Subbed white pigeons and all was well.....

I have done two commercials since last Fall. I used Birmingham rollers and homing pigeons.
I believe young birds work better.
Here are the commercials I pigeon wrangled for:

http://www.healthychoice.com/

Click the "Deal with Change" button to see the second one.

There is also some footage of the white homer I used on the first commercial that comes up on the Healthy Choice site that was bluescreened in.

On the second commercial I brought 5 blue bar and check pigeons and one white. The director chose to use the white after shooting with a blue because he was worried the blue screen might cause parts of the pigeon to appear clear.
I recommend keeping a variety of colors of homing pigeons or rollers.
Keith
http://freewebs.com/kjcii/

see through pigeons!!!
How do you breed THAT!!!

Maybe you could "blue screen" them to plaid and post it here!

I think my friend sold his doves after his "event". He only had a few anyway and I didn't want them.

Back
Top Bottom