Pigeons

peachick

Songster
12 Years
Aug 8, 2007
Maryland 21787
I have 2 pair of white fantails. last year they laid several clutches of eggs, but nothing ever hatched. I need information on what type of nest box they like so that we have better luck this year. I had them in a nice metal cage, with a wodden nest box. I gave them straw and wood shavings in the box but they only kicked the nesting material out.

Thanks!

lol.png
HUH?

Perhaps i didnt word it well....

I use a 6" box with a 4" hole. Pigeons aren't happy unless they can make their own nest. Just give them limber twigs and some straw in their cage. They will build their own nest. The nest won't be much of one, but it is what they use. They have a tendency to keep building nest on top of nest, so you do have to pull it out after a couple months when not occupied.

If a pair has more then 2 eggs in the nest then you have 2 females. They only lay 2 eggs before they set.

Matt
Morganton, NC

Last edited:
I don't think fantails are supposed to be good parents, I think most breeders put their eggs with foster parents of another breed.

I have a known pair, as they have hatched a few babies, but most of the time, they do not hatch anything. They are Komorner Tumblers. They set non stop, but nothing ever hatches. I dont know much about fantails, so I cant really help. But if you are getting more than two eggs per nest, like already stated, you probably have all females.

nope both pairs laid 2 eggs each. id give them time to hatch them.... when the eggs didnt hatch, I'd toss them out.... few weeks later, they each had 2 more eggs again.

Back
Top Bottom