Pigeons

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by peachick, Feb 5, 2008.

1. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    I have 2 pair of white fantails. last year they laid several clutches of eggs, but nothing ever hatched. I need information on what type of nest box they like so that we have better luck this year. I had them in a nice metal cage, with a wodden nest box. I gave them straw and wood shavings in the box but they only kicked the nesting material out.

Thanks!

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    never mind, I'll learn to read and comprehend.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  3. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    [​IMG] HUH?

Perhaps i didnt word it well....

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Do you have true pairs, often times pigeons will pair off with the same sex, Could it be possible you have 4 hens?

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I use a 6" box with a 4" hole. Pigeons aren't happy unless they can make their own nest. Just give them limber twigs and some straw in their cage. They will build their own nest. The nest won't be much of one, but it is what they use. They have a tendency to keep building nest on top of nest, so you do have to pull it out after a couple months when not occupied.

If a pair has more then 2 eggs in the nest then you have 2 females. They only lay 2 eggs before they set.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

Last edited: Feb 6, 2008
  6. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    I don't think fantails are supposed to be good parents, I think most breeders put their eggs with foster parents of another breed.

7. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    I have a known pair, as they have hatched a few babies, but most of the time, they do not hatch anything. They are Komorner Tumblers. They set non stop, but nothing ever hatches. I dont know much about fantails, so I cant really help. But if you are getting more than two eggs per nest, like already stated, you probably have all females.

8. peachick

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    nope both pairs laid 2 eggs each. id give them time to hatch them.... when the eggs didnt hatch, I'd toss them out.... few weeks later, they each had 2 more eggs again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by