Pilgrim Geese thread

6 months old and my goose started laying fine eggs!

Also I was a bit shocked 2 weeks ago when I saw them in a "romantic" scene!
Should I expect hatching at spring?

I'm hoping to have hatching eggs this spring. Have three separate lines that I'm going to keep separate. Always interested in other non related sources to improve genetic diversity tho. I have a pair from Metzer stock, a pair from Eagles nest in Ohio and a pair from stock from Canada. What are other sources out there? I've lucked into mine so far.

Hi, I live in North west Louisiana off Caddo Lake I have a vaired flock and new to this clay/slate soil, burning heat in the summer so hot we have two tomato seasons, even corn has issues here. I grew up in the Midwest and continue growing in the south :) What advice would you give some one in this type of environment for a flock/self sustaining grass/flower? Oh and no farrm equipment but the hands and legs God gave us broke folks seeking knowledge prone to over seeding too? I could really use some help I've been researching but we have such a varied flock and hostile soil, as well as termites and fire ants.... I seek your advice
idunno.gif
if you get a chance
caf.gif
Hello MamaKitty913.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but with the holidays and all I haven't been here in a while. I appreciate your predicament with struggling to grow anything in the sweltering heat and terrible soil down there. I can appreciate it because I grew up in southeastern Oklahoma with similar heat and awful clay and rocks for soil. However, I have spent most of my adult life in the west with far better though drier and more alkaline soil and wonderfully mild summers, especially here in Montana. I am a bit rusty on acidic soils but I have been doing some research for pine plantation silvopastureing so I will try to give you the best advice I can. MOVE NORTH WHILE YOU STILL CAN ! All kidding aside my passion is farm/ranch management and no matter what you where you live or what you are raising it all begins with the soil.
You most likely have a county extension office locally through Louisiana State University that will be far more knowledgable about your local soil conditions and what types of plants will do best for your livestock on your ground. They can also take a soil sample from you and have it analyzed for pH , salinity , fertility and mineral content amongst other things. They will then make recommendations based on what you want to do with your pasture. Having your soil sample tested is usually relatively cheap in terms of knowing exactly whats going on in your soil and sometimes its even free. Regardless , your extension agent wont charge you for picking his brain and most all of them are happy to share their knowledge with you in my experience. I have used them often when I am stumped or new to the territory.
Though I certainly defer to your extension agents educated advice I will say this much for sure . If you only have a small pen and do not have the ability to rotate graze your flock then most anything you plant will be doomed from the start. I love all kinds of poultry but the are forever more hard on ground if they don't have room to roam and to give the pasture rest. I don't know your situation but in my opinion , as a free-range poultryman , the more room the better. Our birds run loose about the ranch most of the summer but we do have breeding pens and the only way any greenery can survive in them is with wire / 2x4 frames over sections of the ground . This allows the birds to graze off the tops and their manure falls through to feed the plants but they can't scratch it out.
Now , finally , I am prepared to make a few recommendations for your pasture or wire frames for that matter. I am a lifelong cowhand so I tend to be long winded when I get someone by the ear but in my experience any good pasture has to have 5 basic ingredients : water , organic matter , fertility , diverse plant species and good management. Now being in Louisiana I am going to assume you get plenty of rain accept when you really need it which is the hottest part of the summer. That may require some innovative irrigation on your part . If you plant the pasture right and manage it correctly the organic matter and fertility will improve with time. That leads us to plant species. Since you are running poultry you will want shorter species where possible but even if your sward really takes off in time that may open the door to running some sheep or goats , a house cow or even some grazing hogs to keep it manageable but that's maybe putting the cart before the horse at this point. I like to plant at least 2 legumes and 3 grasses with some forbes and/or weeds mixed in. Yes , I did say weeds. I know that a number of clovers do well in acidic soil such as red , dutch white and arrowleaf clover and though crimson clover is an annual it can reseed in the south. There was always crimson clover growing along the highways in Oklahoma and I know full well they didn't reseed every year. As for grasses I might recommend Italian ryegrass , bermudagrass and bahiagrass. As for the forbes and weeds.I don't know what grows locally there but they can be a real boon to a chickens diet. We have mallow , shepherds purse and lambs quarter here and the birds love them all at certain times of the year. You have probably noticed your birds feeding on some of your weeds but if not just watch them feed for a bit come summer and you will know what they utilize most in short order. Then after your pasture is planted down you can allow some weeds to remain along the fringes and marginal areas.
I apologize for turning this into a book but I was trying to give you the best advice I could. Do visit our local extension agent and feel free to ask if I can be of further assistance. Hope I have
helped a little and best of luck with your flock and your pasture.

I prefer to live in a climate that doesnt get cold, but this is beautiful!

Great pic!

My birds do this. you should probably check the bottom of her feet every so often just to make sure there isnt anything stuck or the starting of bumble foot. but if she isnt limping she is probably just resting

My dogs love the waterfowl food

My ducks first few eggs were huge it was alarming.

Yes we do have over 2 foot of snow on the ground right now and it has been below zero time or 3 this winter but spring is lush and wet , summer is mild with no need for AC and fall is spectacular. Makes the 4 months of semi- nasty winter completely tolerable.

Hello MamaKitty913.
     Sorry it took so long to get back to you but with the holidays and all I haven't been here in a while. I appreciate your predicament with struggling to grow anything in the sweltering heat and terrible soil down there. I can appreciate it because I grew up in southeastern Oklahoma with similar heat and awful clay and rocks for soil. However, I have spent most of my adult life in the west with far better though drier and more alkaline soil and wonderfully mild summers,  especially here in Montana. I am a bit rusty on acidic soils but I have been doing some research for pine plantation silvopastureing so I will try to give you the best advice I can. MOVE NORTH WHILE YOU STILL CAN ! All kidding aside my passion is farm/ranch management and no matter what you where you live or what you are raising it all begins with the soil.
     You most likely have a county extension office locally through Louisiana State University that will be far more knowledgable about your local soil conditions and what types of plants will do best for your livestock on your ground. They can also take a soil sample from you and have it analyzed for pH , salinity , fertility and mineral content amongst other things. They will then make recommendations based on what you want to do with your pasture. Having your soil sample tested is usually relatively cheap in terms of knowing exactly whats going on in your soil and sometimes its even free. Regardless , your extension agent wont charge you for picking his brain and most all of them are happy to share their knowledge with you in my experience. I have used them often when I am stumped or new to the territory.
     Though I certainly defer to your extension agents educated advice I will say this much for sure . If you only have a small pen and do not have the ability to rotate graze your flock then most anything you plant will be doomed from the start. I love all kinds of poultry but the are forever more hard on ground if they don't have room to roam and to give the pasture rest. I don't know your situation but in my opinion , as a free-range poultryman , the more room the better. Our birds run loose about the ranch most of the summer but we do have breeding pens and the only way any greenery can survive in them is with wire / 2x4 frames over sections of the ground . This allows the birds to graze off the tops and their manure falls through to feed the plants but they can't scratch it out.
     Now , finally , I am prepared to make a few recommendations for your pasture or wire frames for that matter. I am a lifelong cowhand so I tend to be long winded when I get someone by the ear but in my experience any good pasture has to have 5 basic ingredients : water , organic matter , fertility , diverse plant species and good management. Now being in Louisiana I am going to assume you get plenty of rain accept when you really need it which is the hottest part of the summer. That may require some innovative irrigation on your part . If you plant the pasture right and manage it correctly the organic matter and fertility will improve with time. That leads us to plant species. Since you are running poultry you will want shorter species where possible but even if your sward really takes off in time that may open the door to running some sheep or goats , a house cow or even some grazing hogs to keep it manageable but that's maybe putting the cart before the horse at this point. I like to plant at least 2 legumes and 3 grasses with some forbes and/or weeds mixed in. Yes , I did say weeds. I know that a number of clovers do well in acidic soil such as red , dutch white and arrowleaf clover and though crimson clover is an annual it can reseed in the south. There was always crimson clover growing along the highways in Oklahoma and I know full well they didn't reseed every year. As for grasses I might recommend Italian ryegrass , bermudagrass and bahiagrass. As for the forbes and weeds.I don't know what grows locally there but they can be a real boon to a chickens diet. We have mallow , shepherds purse and lambs quarter here and the birds love them all at certain times of the year. You have probably noticed your birds feeding on some of your weeds but if not just watch them feed for a bit come summer and you will know what they utilize most in short order. Then after your pasture is planted down you can allow some weeds to remain along the fringes and marginal areas.
     I apologize for turning this into a book but I was trying to give you the best advice I could. Do visit our local extension agent and feel free to ask if I can be of further assistance. Hope I have 
helped a little and best of luck with your flock and your pasture.

Ok, so my 4 extra ganders' fates are sealed. 1 will be processed because he has angel wing and we don't know if it's hereditary or if he just got too much protein when he was young. The other 3 are going to a swap on Valenheart Day to hopefully get new homes as pets. That will leave me with 2 pairs. They will be 1 year old this spring so we'll see if we get any fertile eggs from them. Not holding my breath on that.

Mine did fine. The mother was very determined to set and do a good job. The father very protective over her and the babies but still well enough behaved.

I saw what I think was Asa and Sally being "romantic". They are just about 9 months old. I am wondering when I should expect Sally may start laying and do I need to make my special set up for her in their coop?

Back
Top Bottom