Pilgrim Geese thread

I like this one and use it
images
Thank you Miss Lydia! I will certainly use this.

Pictures just don't do them justice, especially this one. I'm hoping to get some better pics of them tomorrow. After 6 long hours in the car with a panting stressed hen and a very antsy 6 year we are home and settled. Yay!

Pictures just don't do them justice, especially this one. I'm hoping to get some better pics of them tomorrow. After 6 long hours in the car with a panting stressed hen and a very antsy 6 year we are home and settled. Yay!
Aww they are adorable.. keep an eye on those leg bands they look tight.

Does anybody know if female pilgrims can be more white than gray? Or not get most of their gray feathers until after their first molt? We bought a replacement goose after we lost the female in our pair and we thought we got lucky and got a female, but now we are thinking Martha might be a Marcus. It is mostly white, like our other goose, but definitely more gray than George. The gray goes all the way up the back, where George is more speckled under the wings. There are also some gray feathers on it's breast and belly as well as on it's head, and it seems to be getting a few more everyday, but it isn't even close to the amount of gray that the females have. It also has a smaller stature and it's eyes haven't lightened to that pretty blue George has. I can't quite tell if they are brown or just a really dark blue. It is 10 weeks old, so I think it is mostly grown. Any chance it could be a female, or is that just wishful thinking on my part? No big deal either way, I have already lined up a couple female goslings for next spring from a farm a couple of hours away (these were mail order), but I am curious.

Does anybody know if female pilgrims can be more white than gray?  Or not get most of their gray feathers until after their first molt?  We bought a replacement goose after we lost the female in our pair and we thought we got lucky and got a female, but now we are thinking Martha might be a Marcus.  It is mostly white, like our other goose, but definitely more gray than George. The gray goes all the way up the back, where George is more speckled under the wings.  There are also some gray feathers on it's breast and belly as well as on it's head, and it seems to be getting a few more everyday, but it isn't even close to the amount of gray that the females have. It also has a smaller stature and it's eyes haven't lightened to that pretty blue George has.  I can't quite tell if they are brown or just a really dark blue.  It is 10 weeks old, so I think it is mostly grown.  Any chance it could be a female, or is that just wishful thinking on my part?  No big deal either way, I have already lined up a couple female goslings for next spring from a farm a couple of hours away (these were mail order), but I am curious.
Hmm that's hard to say but if it is a pilgrim and not a mix of pilgrim it sounds to be a male. Females will be darker from birth and I'm pretty sure their juvenile feathers are dark as well. My boys have a gray saddle under their feathers on their backs as well. You can only see this if they stretch their wings out. If it's a pilgrim mix it would be hard to say. Good luck and I hope you have a female there or at least if it's a he the become good companions for eachother until females arrive. :)

The leg bands will be coming off in a few days after they've had a little time to adjust along with some flight feathers. I don't want them to think I'm the boogyman or rather women just yet. Lol
Are they settling in pretty good? how old are they? Will they be out with your Pekins and Pilgrims?

Back
Top Bottom