Pilgrim Geese

Apr 2, 2020
East End, Long Island, NY
Hi all! Anyone have success with two pilgrim geese, as relatively quiet geese, when hand raised from goslings?

What is a safe form of warming lamp? Hoping to have some in about 10 days.

They will be bug eaters, grass/weed eaters, fallen apples, etc. eaters as well as companions and alarms.

I don't have Pilgrims, but when I raise ducklings and goslings I provide a heating pad instead of a heat lamp. I don't have to worry about it shattering, and it also gets them used to a proper day/night cycle.

Congrats on your future babies!
Thank you for your reply. I was looking at some heating pad ideas. I may use some bent hardware cloth, rolled at the edges, if possible so nothing is sharp.

Females of any breed tend to be a bit quieter...only because their voice is a bit deeper! They have their moments though that they feel like shouting to the world...and I'm sure it can be heard a mile away!
Yes, I have been watching videos to get an idea. This is hopefully why two may be a safer noise number.

Thank you for your reply. I was looking at some heating pad ideas. I may use some bent hardware cloth, rolled at the edges, if possible so nothing is sharp.

Over the heating pad, you mean?

Just a word of caution - hardware cloth is quite abrasive, and can easily damage toes/beaks. My Pearl had a beak injury that way - repeatedly scraping her beak against hardware cloth.

Over the heating pad, you mean?

Just a word of caution - hardware cloth is quite abrasive, and can easily damage toes/beaks. My Pearl had a beak injury that way - repeatedly scraping her beak against hardware cloth.

Thank you.

I was looking at ideas for having the heating pad above the goslings. I also have seedling heating pads, but they only get to 70F.

The other idea I saw was using a baking cooling rack. Mine has no sharp edges. I just need to think of what to use to safely keep it raised, as they grow.

I understand you need to protect the heating pad with something that has a plastic type of covering for the top. Thinking that is because they may jump up later?

Back
Top Bottom