Pilgrim Geese

I had a pair of goslings but the female turned up missing last summer. They were out in the Kiddie pool in the front yard and doing just fine. Went in the house for a bit and when I came out an hour or so later the female was gone!
somad.gif

Sonny, the male, has been great. He is pretty docile, pretty quiet, and about the same as all the other comments above. Now I'm saving up my money to get a pair or more of Ashbrook strain Pilgrims.

If anyone out there reading this has them, email me!!

God Bless,

I love my pilgrims. I have 4 and they're really sweet. Easy keepers. I got mine in May and plan on having one of the extra males for Christmas. They're not the fastest grower out there, like any heritage breed.

They're noisy when its time to eat. If I'm not mistaken, Nifty has some as well, and recommended them as a good first goose to have.

Mine free-range, that will end during laying season. When is laying season for southern states?

If anybody has an extra female or an egg list, please pm me.

I have a pair of pilgrims and a buff american (similar size and temperament).

They are not aggressive at all to humans, and maybe try to intimidate the dog, but they do tend to get too rough sometimes with the ducks or chickens - not as much lately, as they are finally maturing a bit and (I hope) are realizing they can do damage.

The buff and the gander pilgrim did attack a pullet (she died two days later - from shock, I think) and they did pull a wing on one of my call duck drakes (it is hanging oddly, now) but since then they have calmed down tremendously.

They were all hatched in late april (april 30th or so). I would say they were nearly adult size by 3 months old or so - so for sure by 5 months old you could butcher them. Mine are full sized, now.

I have no idea what the situation will be like in spring when they become sexually mature - it may get interesting. I don't know if the buff is a goose or a gander (I am hoping goose).

however, I would have to say to get Pilgrims, they are sweet and they like to chatter with me, and they follow me around the yard a lot. Very curious and want to know what you're doing all the time.

Mine get grain, but they don't eat much of it in summer (so far) they graze really well. (sometimes they even leave my plants alone... but not if it looks really super tasty
lau.gif
)

edited cause I can't spell this morning
meri

Last edited:
Quote:
Not really - mine can get a good foot ff the ground if they are going at it hard
lau.gif

Mine do love to run across the yard flapping their wings, however - maybe they can fly in their dreams?

meri

I think they like to pretend to fly! LOL!!

I like my Pilgrims. I didn't spend as much time with them as I should have after we moved them outside. So, they aren't as friendly as I would like them to be.

They are not aggressive at all. They do talk, especially if they think you are going to feed them. But, they don't holler constantly like the Chinese I had.

I like geese, as they have cute personalities. They are more predator resistant than the chickens and ducks, but they can be killed. We lost our Chinese male trying to defend his "flock". He had a wife, but he considered all of the birds his flock.

I want to get geese in the spring and I think I have decided on Pilgrims
smile.png
I think I would like to try and hatch them though rather than getting goslings. Does anyone on here know of anyone that sells Pilgrim hatching eggs? Thanks!

Recently got an update on this thread in my email. Just wanted to pipe in quickly and say that I too am looking for Pilgrim hatching eggs but am looking solely for "Ashbrook" strain Pilgrim's. If anyone has these, please let me know.

God Bless,

my pilgrim geese are still young . But i can tell one thing already they are way different from the chineese and african geese i had several years ago.

much easier to heard along .and are not so prone to jumping over 8 inch guide boards when hearding them from one food plot to the other .

much more quiet as well .

Back
Top Bottom