Pilgrim goose sexing question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by barnwife, Apr 18, 2009.

1. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    i know Pilgrim geese are self sexing...that's partly why I got the eggs lol.

BUT is dark male or female? I need to know since they are hatching now and I have one dark one out...the other two are pipped...but not enough to tell which color they are.

Thank-you in advance!

2. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey congrats on the baby Pilgrims! I've got some in my incubator too. Boys are all white, girls get the color in this breed.

3. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    YAY! YIPEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!! I got a girl!

I got a girl i got a girl!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Woot!!! Congrats to you!!! Are we hoping that one of the others that's still in an egg is a boy?

5. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    kinda sorta..I don't want to inbreed,but at the same time you gotta use what you got! I am trying to find another source for three or four more eggs, but so far no luck.

I just checked on the hatched one that I had to bandage its stomach in...she is no longer alive. I do not know what killed her, humidity or temp could both be factors since my thermometer read a high of 101 sometime during the afternoon...but her stomach was all the way in and looked normal! What a heartbreak. I still have two in eggs...Oh, what a loss though!

She was so adorable, she stole my heart!

Alas, the heartbreak of hatching on your own. How on earth do hatcheries do it? I don't know if I can hatch any more..it's so terrible to lose such wonderful babies!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  6. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    The last two geese hatched! Two more girls! YAY! I love my little goslings!

you are certain that dark colorings mean female, right? B/c one has silvery grey with the yellow, the other has dark grey with the yellow belly. The one I lost was both silvery streaked and darker grey streaked with a yellow belly.

I love my geese!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by