Pine Island Florida (Lee County)

PineIslandChick

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 26, 2013

This is the chicken coop that I built so that I could have chickens on my half acre property on Pine Island in Florida. I just had to tear it down on Friday. I must say I shed many tears with drill in hand. Code enforcement was called on me for an unrelated thing but was cited for this as well. I was told explicitly by the code enforcement officer that chickens are not allowed in my zoning. I need your help Backyard Chickens. How can I help change legislation in my hometown?

This is the chicken coop that I built so that I could have chickens on my half acre property on Pine Island in Florida. I just had to tear it down on Friday. I must say I shed many tears with drill in hand. Code enforcement was called on me for an unrelated thing but was cited for this as well. I was told explicitly by the code enforcement officer that chickens are not allowed in my zoning. I need your help Backyard Chickens. How can I help change legislation in my hometown?
You could apply for a zoning variance. If they don't grant that look around for others who are interested in having chickens and go before the city/town council to request to have the laws changed. Have your facts in hand supporting the positive aspects of raising chickens and be prepared to re-buff the negative comments. It sounds like you may have a disgruntled neighbor who you might want to win over before you undertake this.
You coop looked very niceby the way.

A request for variance alone would be $700 and take up to 6 months. I would rather do something for my community in helping to change the actual legislation. Pine Island is a very rural place already with the majority of it being zoned agricultural. So I guess my next action is to rally the people
frow.gif
so hey! Pine Islanders, hit me up!

Back
Top Bottom