Pine shaving storage? ideas?

jwood

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Georgina, Ontario, Canada
i have a local pine wood mill in my area and they sell their pine shavings for cheap! I can get 2 yards for $18. Judging on what TSC is selling their bags of shavings for i think its a pretty good deal to get it at the mill.

Since i would be loosing the convenience of bags getting it at the mill how do i need to store the shavings? My coop is 8X8 and i plan on using the deep litter method but I'm guess 2 yards wont fit in my coop without drowning my hens in shavings!

indoor storage is not possible and putting it all in containers would be too much. Would a large wooden bin with a lid be ok? Would the shavings "go bad" at all? I'm assuming if they are kept dry i shouldn't have any issues?

any ideas on how to store that much (or pics of how you do it) would be helpful!

Thanks!

For 2 yards you'd need a bin approximately 6 feet x 6 feet x 6 feet. (source)

How will you pick it up or do they deliver?

Definitely off the ground and waterproof cover....might get some critter living in there.

Wonder if you could get a big crate from an ATV/Snowmobile dealer?

For 2 yards you'd need a bin approximately 6 feet x 6 feet x 6 feet. (source)

How will you pick it up or do they deliver?

Definitely off the ground and waterproof cover....might get some critter living in there.

Wonder if you could get a big crate from an ATV/Snowmobile dealer?
6x6x6 is 216 cubic feet, which is 8 cubic yards. A cubic yard is 3x3x3. Two cubic yards would be 3x3x6.

A cubic yard stored as a cube is roughly 3'9" on each side.

As to the pricing, it depends on whether their stuff is compressed or not.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...g;-flake-premium-pine-shavings-covers-8-cu-ft

The standard $5.49 tractor supply bag is 2.5 cuft compressed, or 8 cuft once unbagged. $18 gets you almost exactly a yard (unbagged) at that price, and its already stored in a compressed (smaller), waterproof form.

2 yards in an 8x8 coop will get you roughly 10-11" deep. (2 yards is 54 cubic feet, your coop is 64 square feet)

Last edited:
I'm in Canada so our bags of shavings are TSC are a bit more ($6.29) per bag. Although they are a bit bigger at 78 liters instead of 70.8 liters. I didn't realize the bags expand that much...so I thought it was super cheap at the mill.

We have a trailer that we could pick up the loose shavings and I doubt they are compressed.

Not too sure what i'll do. There are 1529 liters in 2 yards...so it would take me i'm guessing about 6 bags to get that much after expanding...about $42 after taxes.

I guess for the $20 extra its worth having it in the bags....as long as it truly expands the way they say. on our bags in Canada it just says it "may expand 3x"

Back
Top Bottom