pine shaving? what is it actually

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chick_magnet, Oct 29, 2010.

1. chick_magnet

chick_magnet Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2010
    I just put some pine the i rake up from a friends house. my coop is 7ftx5ft. and it is about 3ft off the ground. is that the same pine shaving that everyone is talking about when they say pine shaving? its about 1.5 ft high. i got alot of pines in there is that too much. and am i using the right pine?

2. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    in our area it comes from the saw mills-shavings from the process of making lumber from white pine!

also, do you have a pic of what you are talking about? sometimes that is a better help with a visual!

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Sounds like you are useing pine needles maybe? [​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Pine shavings are small, thin pieces of wood that are usually sold in big bales at the feed store. It makes dry, absorbent, fluffy bedding.

5. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    Quote:yes you are right. Is pine needles bad?

6. poltroon

poltroon Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2008
    California (North Coast)
    Quote:yes you are right. Is pine needles bad?

Pine needles are not absorbent and they may contain resins that could stick to feathers and otherwise make you unhappy.

Shavings are usually kiln-dried and thus will absorb quite a lot of moisture, which helps keep everything cleaner and more pleasant.

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

No, but they may be hard to walk on until they get packed down. Maybe trample them down so it's not so fluffed up. If they don't have any walking problems, by all means, use them.

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    If you mean true pine I would think not. I am growing pines currently for this same reason. The shorter evergreen needles lime the Douglas firs and such may be Sharp so I didn't grow any of those. Also try to stay away from cedar because the oil they emit can be toxic to your birds.

9. chick_magnet

May 25, 2010
    can you hear me now? :

If you mean true pine I would think not. I am growing pines currently for this same reason. The shorter evergreen needles lime the Douglas firs and such may be Sharp so I didn't grow any of those. Also try to stay away from cedar because the oil they emit can be toxic to your birds.

the one i have are long about six inches are those the bad kind of pine and i used the dead one when it turns brown​

10. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds like Ponderosa needles.

I wouldn't use them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by