Pine shavings okay at 2,5 weeks?

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I have 2,5 weeks chicks. So far I've used towels for bedding, but it does get a little messy and I want to get them accustomed to shavings before moving them outside. I've twice tried to change to pine shavings but remove them when I see the chicks start eating them. Can they still die from eating pine shavings at 2,5 weeks? When would it be safe? They aren't just investigating them, but eating the smaller pieces of the shavings, and they don't stop at one or two.

They should be fine with shavings. I always have shavings in the coops at any age. As far as them eating them... Do they have enough feed all the time? Are they eating them because they're hungry?

Thank you for your reply! No, they always have feed, and they feeder always has room for any hungry chick, so it's not that they're hungry or not getting to the food. Maybe it's normal for a chick to eat some shavings but then others warn against it, so I'm not sure what to think.

It's normal for them to eat some bedding - it's their way of exploring it and figuring out "Is this good to eat?" Even my adults eat bits of litter and bedding here and there.

Have you been giving them grit? If not, I would give them some grit first, then a few days later add the shavings. As long as they don't gorge on it, it should be fine.

It's normal for them to eat some bedding - it's their way of exploring it and figuring out "Is this good to eat?" Even my adults eat bits of litter and bedding here and there.

Have you been giving them grit? If not, I would give them some grit first, then a few days later add the shavings. As long as they don't gorge on it, it should be fine.
Thank you, I'll try that! I haven't been giving them grit yet because they haven't been eating anything that would require it. Also grit seems very uncommon to use in Norway, where I am, and people I know who've had chickens have never used it. I did however manage to track down some chick grit so I do have it on hand.

Thank you, I'll try that! I haven't been giving them grit yet because they haven't been eating anything that would require it. Also grit seems very uncommon to use in Norway, where I am, and people I know who've had chickens have never used it. I did however manage to track down some chick grit so I do have it on hand.
If you can't buy chick grit, you can either buy small adult grit and sift it through a colander to get small pieces, or if you have gravel, rocky soil, or very coarse sand, you can do the same with that to get pieces that are of suitable size.

(Whoops I answered without reading it carefully... lol I'll leave this in place though in case others have a similar question and need the advice later on.)

It's just good insurance in case a chick eats more shavings than it should, or bigger pieces than it should, as it'll help it break down the pieces and move it through their digestive tract.

Mine were gobbling down the shavings even 4 days after I first switched (I switched when they were about a week old). I went back to paper towels again for ten days or so, then tried again, same thing. Eating the smaller bits like they were treats. Covered up the shavings again for another 4 or 5 days. By then they were ripping up the paper towels with their scratching, so I had to do something different. I found that they were only truely going for it when shavings were tossed onto a different surface (like the back of the plate I used to prop up their feeder) or when they scratched through to the floor. So I put down an extra thick layer making it harder to uncover the bottom of the brooder and changed the plate for a flowerpot that‘s exactly the size of the round feeder. It worked like magic. Now they only eat their feed.
Good luck! And I second the grit. It’s probably not common in areas where chickens are generally free ranging all day every day. But if they are not, grit is essential, even for tiny chicks.

Mine were gobbling down the shavings even 4 days after I first switched (I switched when they were about a week old). I went back to paper towels again for ten days or so, then tried again, same thing. Eating the smaller bits like they were treats. Covered up the shavings again for another 4 or 5 days. By then they were ripping up the paper towels with their scratching, so I had to do something different. I found that they were only truely going for it when shavings were tossed onto a different surface (like the back of the plate I used to prop up their feeder) or when they scratched through to the floor. So I put down an extra thick layer making it harder to uncover the bottom of the brooder and changed the plate for a flowerpot that‘s exactly the size of the round feeder. It worked like magic. Now they only eat their feed.
Good luck! And I second the grit. It’s probably not common in areas where chickens are generally free ranging all day every day. But if they are not, grit is essential, even for tiny chicks.
That is a good point about shavings on a different surface. My chicken are now 8 or 9 weeks and live in the coop with shavings. The doorway and the ramp is painted in a dark brown colour. The chicken will still, even at this age, eat shavings that land on the brown colour. They can gobble down on large pieces. I've put up something to stop as possible the shavings from being dragged around, but it is impossible to stop all of it. Had I known I would have painted a different colour! They still seem fine though. I am considering though to put down a finer shaving next time I clean the coop cause then at least they won't eat such big pieces!

Back
Top Bottom