Pine shavings or Cedar

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Ms. Lewis Rich, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I have always used pine was told cedar has an oil or something harmful. Is that true ?Anyone use cedar? It sure smells better!

2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I've been told the same thing about Cedar.

I use pine and that's all that seems to be at the feed stores.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    ALL wood shavings have an oil that CAN be harmful if they are not cured and are then used in an Unventilated space. However, Cedar appears to have the strongest oils and is extremely pungent and is just too hard on a chicken's respiratory system... especially if they are young chicks. Some folks say they mix a couple handfuls with pine shavings. I'm surprised they still sell cedar shavings for animal cages... years ago they started warning about using them for small animals like hamsters and guinea pigs.

I say better safe than sorry.

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    It is true. Cedar is bad for small animals and any animal really. the oil in it irritates the respiratory system...for smaller animals it if often lethal and the way they died is horrible.

Bird size down to a mouse....use pine.

5. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I have used popular fresh with out any drying. Of course I have a lot of vents blowing air. I still would never use ceder. Don't want to risk loosing a group of chickens for something small like wood shavings.

6. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Cedar is prone to cause respratory problems. I only use pine but it's always cured first.

7. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Thanks for your help, and the chickens I wanted to use the Ceder with are kept indoors with artifical light and an air purifier so after hearing what you say it would be a really bad idea.
    Not alot of air moving.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I use pine shavings and I sprinkle FOOD GRADE Diatomaceous Earth (DE) on the shavings. Also my roosts in my coop are over wire which allows the poop through and I sprinkle the DE over the poop too. The pine shavings are on the floor in the rest of the coop. Monthly I add some shavings until I have approx 4/6in, and weekly I add more DE. I clean my coop once a year. Once in awhile I throw some scratch on the shavings and let the chickens mix it up. They do a very good job. I have no problems with flies, stink and such. My pine shavings stay nice and dry easy to clean out. I put them in my compost pile. which every once in awhile I give a toss to keep it mixed up with the other stuff that goes in. sprinkle with water and let it cook. I move my coop and chicken yard once in awhile. The poop under the roost goes into the compost. I grow so much produce that I give most of it away. My soil is low in acid so I think the pine shavings are good for my soil. I was buying the pine shavings at my local feed store. They were out before, so I have bought some in the pet department at Wal-Mart.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    We are all unique.

We do pine shavings sprinkled w/ DE. Every week. On Fri or Saturday we sweep and mop the coop and them put down more shavings and DE.

Coop stays relatively clean and we never have to worry about poopy eggs.

10. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I think you all have it backwards.. Do a google and find out.
    Pine has the creasoke (sp) that can cause lung damage etc if used as bedding. There are warnings on just about every house rabbit website you find. Cedar on the other hand keeps fleas and things away.. its more money, but could be worth it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by