Pine shavings question

austroberta

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2017
Oakland CA
Usually when I get pine shavings they are bone dry. My husband bought some shavings 2 days ago and just opened them up and they feel cool and moist to the touch. We took them back and brought new packages home and once again, they are cool and moist to the touch. Am I freaking out too much or are they fine? I am concerned that since they have been in the plastic, mold spores might form.

It was warm today, with low humidity, so I'm really puzzled as to why they would feel that way.

They were probably put in the bag wet, Ive forgot mine in my truck overnight in rain and mine were dry

Ide return and try anothet brand
15556369758606414086535955536721.jpg

Thanks everyone! I don't feel right about using them, but it's all I have right now and it's the only brand my closest supply store has. Would Petco have them? My ducklings are only 3 days old, so I can possibly use paper towels for tonight.

They were probably put in the bag wet, Ive forgot mine in my truck overnight in rain and mine were dry

Ide return and try anothet brand View attachment 1743456
Unfortunately, they're the only brand this store has.

I think they were put in the bag moist as well.

I talked to the store manager and they were nonchalant. "It happens." What?! They will do the swap, but I don't want to have to keep on finding the same problem if I do another swap.

$48.00!!!!!???? That's insane.

I hold a long and hard grudge against corporate America and it's stuff like this that feeds that grudge.

Sweet! i apsalutely despise corporate canada, Its shadow government and centralized banking!

But anyway!

I was thinking about those pellets myself and they are alot bigger than feed pellets i still thaught mabye theyd try eating them...

How old and how many do you have?

They peepsters are still very small-- 3 days. I only have 2 of them . They've been nibbling the shavings, so yah, they would probably nibble the pellets once they disintegrated (which they do when they get wet.) The pellets themselves are really big and would be ideal if they didn't fall apart when wet. I could put paper towels on top of the pellets, though. I haven't seen the peeps eat the towels when I used them yesterday. I just don't want to use those moist shavings, but I have to use something.

If corporations weren't like pigs at the trough, they might get more love. Seriously, $48.00?!

Back
Top Bottom