pine shavings question.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MurrayCove, Oct 14, 2008.

1. MurrayCove

MurrayCove Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    By mistake, I bought a huge bag of cedar pine shavings instead of the plane shavings. It seems to me that I heard that the cedar shavings are not good for the chickens. Anyone know about this? Thanks, Pat

2. Nemo

Nemo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    N'rn Wisconsin
    I've heard the oil in cedar is bad for chickens... I think it was said they are toxic when eaten.

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Cedar can also irritate the skin. Some people use it with no problem. I wouldn't risk it. Return the bag if you can. If you can't, the bags aren't that expensive anyway.

4. MurrayCove

MurrayCove Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    HI and thanks for responding. I had already opened the bag before I caught the cedar smell..and then actually looked at it (duh!). I decided not to take the chance...so dumped the cedar stuff as mulch in one of my small flower gardens. Then went out and got the plane pine cedar chips..which I used in the coop...and even spread it around the run. I am sure that I read somewhere a good while back that it was not safe to use the cedar stuff...glad I remembered....and grateful for BYC. So, much good info here.

5. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    [​IMG]

good idea to use it for compost on the garden!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by