Pine straw in nest boxes? As litter? In the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by msviolaceous, Jul 10, 2011.

1. msviolaceous

msviolaceous Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    We have a ton of pine trees on our property. Pine straw is abundant everywhere you look. After doing a search on the merits of various nest box liners I saw someone state thar pine straw was the best thing they'd found for it. Does anyone else have experience using pine straw in nest boxes? What about a mix of pine straw and pine shavings? Any drawbacks to using it as litter or even in the run during the rainy season to cut down on mud?

Even if it's not ideal... it's FREE! [​IMG]

2. painterpeach

painterpeach Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    we use straw and shavings.love them both! straw better because its free lol!

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

We use it when we have enough.
    Pine straw is great,.. not hollow, like straw, so it doesn't harbor "no see ums" and it smells fresh,. I wish we still had all the pines Hurricane Katrina took out,.
    I would never buy shavings again..

4. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Pine straw? [​IMG] Dare I admit I don't know what that is? Pine straw, not shavings?

5. MomKat

MomKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Mobile, AL
    Pine straw is just fallen pine needles. Those of us on the Gulf Coast (and probably through the South!) call it pine straw. BayouPoules, I wish we still had the pine trees Katrina took, too! Which makes me start thinking about what to do with my girls if we have a hurricane...

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  6. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Quote:Thanks, well don't I feel silly. I have a back yard full of it and never knew that's what it was called lol.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's great in the coop, also great around bushes (if the chickens don't kick it out.) A bit acidic for the veggie garden, though, or so I have read.

8. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I know! Thansfully, we would evacuate to my sister's so we could take any chicks could go with us if we evacuate,.. and our favorite girl,.. but the others would have to be secured in the coop with a ton of food and water! The weather has been so wickedly hot ya know that the gulf is heating up,....we're only 20 miles as the crow flies, from the Gulfs edge and 6 miles from the Lake,.. ,.. at least there are no trees to fall on the house again,.. Katrina,.. took care of that!

We planted a few short leaf pines far apart so as to grow out rather than tall and hope to have more pine straw soon,.. still, until then ,. there is a man selling it for $6.00 a bale in Husser,.. I need some for my azaleas and huckleberries,.. I never would have thought I would need to buy pine straw,.. [​IMG]

9. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I love pine straw in the nest boxes. Seems to deter critters somewhat and dries out faster than hay or shaving.

As floor litter in the run it would be less attractive since it is not very absorbent.

10. City Lay-Dee

City Lay-Dee New Egg

Mar 30, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Do I put the pine straw (pine needles as we call them in Aus) in the coop/run green, or do I have to dry them out first?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by