Pine straw in nest boxes? As litter? In the run?

msviolaceous

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
We have a ton of pine trees on our property. Pine straw is abundant everywhere you look. After doing a search on the merits of various nest box liners I saw someone state thar pine straw was the best thing they'd found for it. Does anyone else have experience using pine straw in nest boxes? What about a mix of pine straw and pine shavings? Any drawbacks to using it as litter or even in the run during the rainy season to cut down on mud?

Even if it's not ideal... it's FREE!
wee.gif

We use it when we have enough.
Pine straw is great,.. not hollow, like straw, so it doesn't harbor "no see ums" and it smells fresh,. I wish we still had all the pines Hurricane Katrina took out,.
I would never buy shavings again..

Pine straw is just fallen pine needles. Those of us on the Gulf Coast (and probably through the South!) call it pine straw. BayouPoules, I wish we still had the pine trees Katrina took, too! Which makes me start thinking about what to do with my girls if we have a hurricane...

It's great in the coop, also great around bushes (if the chickens don't kick it out.) A bit acidic for the veggie garden, though, or so I have read.

Quote:
I know! Thansfully, we would evacuate to my sister's so we could take any chicks could go with us if we evacuate,.. and our favorite girl,.. but the others would have to be secured in the coop with a ton of food and water! The weather has been so wickedly hot ya know that the gulf is heating up,....we're only 20 miles as the crow flies, from the Gulfs edge and 6 miles from the Lake,.. ,.. at least there are no trees to fall on the house again,.. Katrina,.. took care of that!

We planted a few short leaf pines far apart so as to grow out rather than tall and hope to have more pine straw soon,.. still, until then ,. there is a man selling it for $6.00 a bale in Husser,.. I need some for my azaleas and huckleberries,.. I never would have thought I would need to buy pine straw,..
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom