Pine Tar Question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by critterlover, Dec 9, 2009.

1. critterlover

critterlover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2009
    Connecticut
    When using pine tar on a chicken that has been pecked on her hind end, does it still allow circulation for the feathers to grow back?

Does it burn the skin?

Does it stay sticky or dry to the touch so every spec of shavings and dirt does not stick to her?

Are there any adverse affects of using it?

Can you still eat eggs from the chicken?

Also, about how long will it take the feathers to grow back this time of year?

Just curious, does anyone know how using pine tar for this purpose got started?

Obviously I am a very nervous and worried first time chicken parents and have no idea why the pecking started since the girls have a large coop and run and a great diet every day. [​IMG]

2. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    I have never dealt with pine tar, but maybe someone will wander by and answer your questions. Good Luck with your flock! [​IMG]

3. I would use bag balm i think instead of pine tar. I have never used pine tar, but I really like bag balm, I use it for both the animals and for my self. maybe wsomeone oner with moreexperience can help ypu but I really like the bag balm. marrie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by