pineapple??

Your not suppose to because its citrus, but I feed them lots last year with no problems...
hide.gif

Also here is a treat chart: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

That chart doesn't say why chickens shouldn't eat citrus, which is funny since it does explain all of the other no-nos. So, why can't chickens eat citrus? Is it just the peels, or is it the whole thing?

Technically, pineapple isn't a citrus fruit. It's acidic, but not citrus. It's a member of the bromeliad family.

Thanks Glenda. I'm inclined to agree that this citrus thing is an urban chicken myth, so to speak. Some folks say it's the acidity in citrus that's bad, but then those same folks might advocate putting vinegar in the chickens' water. Go figure.

When you only have a few hens, I think it's easy to get a little too precious with them and their diet, just like we tend to get with our dogs and cats. But then I go outside and see my dogs and chickens (look away now if you're squeamish) eating their own and everyone else's poop, and I just have to laugh at my chicken-food worries! Blech!

Pineapple isn't actually a citrus. Pineapple is extremely acidic, so that would be my first concern in regards to giving it to a chicken. Having said as much, I am going to venture to say that in moderation, it would be fine.

Mine got a few chunks of dehydrated pineapple yesterday because I was eating some and they seemed to think I should share. They show no signs of issues and seemed to like it.

Back
Top Bottom