'pink' body part hanging out of duck!

TexasTony

Chirping
14 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Lockhart
Well, it's not been a good week. I noticed today that our adult female Rouen duck had a pink organ sticking out her butt. Round, maybe 5/8 inch across, and attached! I thought it might be her uterus. Together my wife & I caught her & pushed it back inside. But a few minutes later it was sticking out again.

It wasn't cut, & I can't tell if it's swollen. She's messing with it, so it must bother her.

Any thoughts? Has our drake just been too violent with her? There are 3 females (another 2 month old Rouen female & an adult Indian Runner) along with a 2 month old male Rouen. I can pen the male separate if need be.

Thanks
Tony

I really wish I could help..Try asking in Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures...I am sure someone has an answer for you..
At least I can BUMP you back to the top...Good luck..

sounds like a prolapse I have not experience yet but many here have. I remember it involves soaking and then reinserting and putting in dark quiet place. I am sure some one will be more specific.

good Luck.

Sounds like a prolapse--buy some preparation H, apply to the area and gently push the vent back in. The prep H helps with the swelling...good luck!

I agree it sounds like prolapse. The prep h suggestion is a good one. You may have to hold it in place for a few seconds to get it to stay. It may also require several attempts. It is recommended to keep them in a dimly lit area to shut down the lay cycle so they can heal. Also, watch for flies laying eggs on the exposed area. It may be best to bring her inside if you can.

Back
Top Bottom