Pink Egg Project

I'm glad she's on the mend and I hope the new hatch yields lots of pink-eggers. How awesome would it be to create your own stable, special line of chickens?!?

Out of curiosity, what breeding plan do you intend to use? (I only ask because selected chicken breeding fascinates me and I may give it a go sometime if I ever find traits I like enough.) Do you plan to line breed this hen? Are there good odds of finding additional Lt Brahmas that also lay pink eggs? This whole idea is just so cool.

Yes, line breeding will be my main plan and out-crossing to an unrelated RIR/EE hen who lays pink eggs.

At some point it would be nice to work with someone else who has pink(ish) layers and trade birds or eggs.

I don't know about the L. Brahmas eggs, maybe someone who breeds them can tell us more about them.

Last edited:
Have you tried contacting Wolftracks. She has a purple and a pink egg laying project going. I believe several other BYCers have similar projects as well.

I finally found where this girl is laying her eggs. She is my last pink egger of the first Pink Egg Project hatch. 1/2 L. Brahma, 1/4 EE, 1/4 RIR. She injured the wing facing us when she was small and has never had use of it.

Last edited:
Awesome Eggs!

I bred some of my chickens for Pink and got a nice shade of pink. I gave this bird to a friend though, along with a Green layer and unfortunately the pinkie (Who I wanted to breed back too if she wanted to sell) was mauled a few days ago
hit.gif
and the Rooster of the pair that produces the pinks, was mauled by my dog. So I can't re-create my pinkies. Beautiful birds and eggs you have!

frow.gif

Hope to hear more soon.... I'm interested in all things eggshells. Are you seeing any consistency in the shape of the egg from mother to daughter or depending on rooster, etc...?

After a few requests from fellow BYC'ers to receive fertile eggs from my L. Brahma who lays the pink egg pictured, I started the Pink Egg Project (named by one of the requesters).

I got two RIR/EE cross cocks from my neighbor (eggs which I hatched out for him in my bator) to use for the project. For hens I selected my L. Brahma, a RIR/EE cross hen and an EE cross hen who both also lay pink eggs (although not as brilliant as the L. Brahma's). I also wanted to expand my EE flock so I chose three EE hens to breed as well.

Bellow is a video of the project in progress

Neither of the cocks were hatched from pink eggs but the cross RIR/EE seem to be common for them (my experience). I will take a cock that hatches from the pink eggs and breed back to the pink egg layers.

I already have a pullet that hatched out of one of the L. Brahma pink eggs (feather sexed)

And here is a little cockerel that hatched from one of the other pink eggs

Continued in approx. 5-6 months.. .

Sorry I'm not filling any more egg orders
oh my gosh i would die for a pink layer!

Back
Top Bottom