Pink eggs? **pics added

mstricer

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Ohio
I wander if there is some kind of treat i could feed my ameraucana so I can have some of those lovely pink eggs
fl.gif

22834_ameraucana_chicks_007.jpg
22834_ameraucana_chicks_010.jpg
These are my ameraucana

Last edited:
LOL, that's cute! They do it on their own~ Sometimes pink, sometimes blue or even green. But that would be an EE not an ameraucana. Ameraucana's only lay blue eggs! Post a pic and we will tell you what eggs you'll get by the type of bird you really have.

So when my EE starts laying I am gonna get multi-colored eggs?
celebrate.gif

I thouhgt I would get olive color or just one color anyway not multi...I guess that is why they are called EE's.....
hmm.png

This is my EE Mable...Will she have multi colored eggs?
24751_100_8137.jpg

Quote:
Each hen lays her own color. One may lay blue, another greenish, still another pinkish. But they dont change up.
It is genetic and sorry, you cannot influence it by external means such as feeding certain foods.

olive green is tricky. From what i gather you have to breed an blue egg chicken with a brown egg one. I am sure there are genetic factors and such. I am dying to do it!! Yes, ee's give you a range which makes them super cool in my book! I only have ameraucana's but might breed my roo with an BR and a RIR to see what i get. Hopefully an olive egger!!
celebrate.gif

Olive green is easy but pink is not. To get olive you just have to mix a good blue layer with a rooster from a brown laying breed. At least 50% will lay olive and the rest brown. If the blue layer carries 2 copies of the gene all will be olive layers. The shade will depend on what brown genetics the bird gets.

Pink is not actually caused by the blue/green egg gene. It is not just an EE trait. Pink is caused by certain brown genes. My japanese bantams sometimes lay quite pink eggs. Japs were not bred to lay a certain color of egg so can lay from white to light brown. Here's some of the eggs from a pure black tailed buff jap hen:

SANY1264.jpg

Quote:
No I am not 100% sure but I have posted that pic here before and was under the conclusion Mable was a she. She does like to chase my doxy and is more feisty than the others.

So it will be one color only, whatever the color she (hopefully
hmm.png
) will lay will be her color?

Either way works. Gender has nothing to do with egg color genetics except you have no idea what a rooster is or isn't carrying unless you know a good portion of his family tree.

Back
Top Bottom