Pinless Peeper sizes?

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
I just got my Pinless Peepers in the mail today, from Randall Burkey. I tried to put one on my pecking hen, and found that the straight piece across the back of the peeper will hurt her comb if I clamp them on correctly. She has a large rose comb that comes partway down her beak.

Anyone have advice? Her nostrils seem very narrow, too, and the nostril "pointer" things seem too large to fit into her nostrils.

I'm very annoyed! We were really excited that her pecking days would be over.
tongue.png

Dora'smom

Songster
10 Years
Dec 14, 2009
Oregon
I have pinless peepers on all but one of my girls (Dora never pecks anyone). None of my birds have a large rosecomb, so I am not sure how to make them work best for your birds. Some of my girls have a large or floppy single comb, and it doesn't seem to bother them once they settle in. Is it possible to heat them a little longer in the hot water and bend them slightly? Or maybe heat them, then position them with something (books, etc.) to keep them in that position for a few hours so they will stay bent? I think that's what I would try. As for fitting in the nostrils, our girls don't have any problem with that, but maybe your girl's nostrils are slightly smaller.
There is another device that fits as a plastic band around the beak, and prevents pecking. I don't remember the name. . . maybe someone here can chime in?

welovechickens

Songster
10 Years
Mar 7, 2009
Round Rock
Thanks for the answer, we ended up modifying it enough that it doesn't bother Betty's comb. It fit in her nostrils fine, too, though now she sounds a little snuffly.
smile.png
She HATED it! It took her a good hour before she quit shaking her head, dragging her beak on the ground, and scratching at it. She bloodied her nose a little, scratching at it and making the plastic shift.
sad.png
I think she'll be fine, though!

Top Bottom