Pioneer meat birds- the good, the bad and the very, very ugly

My experience with them was a little bit different than yours. I ordered a dozen Pioneer chicks this April, planning to raise them for meat, since the Cornish do very badly at our high altitude. The chicks grew quite well. I lost one at age 3 weeks to a hip dislocation, but had no other losses, compared to average 10% loss with Cornish. Like you, I found the growth rate and feed conversion a little lower than expected. I butchered seven of them at 12 weeks old, and they produced a long keeled carcass with relatively thin breasts. The meat was unusually delicious. It was very "chickeny" and firmer in texture than meat from the Cornish hybrids. I kept one rooster and three hens to see how they did in my laying flock. At nearly 6 months old they are large and beautiful birds, and are fairly docile to handle and quite good with the other smaller hens in my flock. So far, I have had no pecking or cannibalism problems, and in fact no behavioral problems of any kind. The rooster is unusually calm and quiet. They are only just starting to lay, and I don't yet know how they will pan out as long-term members of the flock. But I am definitely planning to raise more of them for meat in the future, and I think they are a good choice for those of us at high altitudes. Also have to emphasize that the flavor was really spectacular, although one friend to whom I served the meat said it was delicious but too "chewy."
I have also noticed that even though my rooster is sexually mature and mating with the hens, he rarely crows, which is a huge advantage since I live in a suburban area with close neighbors. I have no idea if this is typical of the breed.

The only down side i could think of to keeping a Pioneer rooster would be their massive size compared to regular DP birds. Some of my Pioneer roos were downright nasty to each other, but not to people. They're all in the freezer. But I did hold one pullet back. She was the smallest of the Pioneers. Slightly darker than a BO with black tail feathers, has a greenish tint to her legs. She's a gentle, unassuming bird, low in pecking order, was the first to lay, and lays a nice big brown egg. She has earned a place in my flock, and I'm looking forward to seeing what her chicks are like next year. She'll be crossed with a massive EE roo. They'll be a pea comb green egg layer.

So far, my Pioneer rooster is massive indeed but is gentle with the hens and in fact is fairly dominated by them. Now if you can breed a big meat chicken that lays green eggs, I 'll buy that one!

I have some "Pioneer" or rainbows or whatever they are called, I think ever hatchery is different. Mine look just like your pictures here.

I like them, I have had no problems in my mixed flock. I am keeping one rooster over winter and a couple hens for babies next year.

I like my CX's but I look at these and think they will have bigger legs and thighs, which is the part of the chicken we like best.

I have no idea about feed conversion as I free range and they eat from a feeder all day too.

I keep reading that the dual purpose or meat birds are lazy and not good at foraging--these guys have been really good in terms of energy level and looking for food. They aren't aggressive--our Olive Egger roo and the Barred Rocks roos are WAY more aggressive in terms of trying to pick fights and not backing down. Maybe it's the gentle giant phenomenon ;)

Either way, I'm really happy with them so far and I probably never would have ordered them had they not been in my mix. I don't really want to breed them, though, so I'm not sure what to do with the roosters! They literally act like puppy dogs, hopping up in my lap to be petted or fall asleep, so I hate to eat them!! :(

Doubt they're easily re-homed though...anyone want a few Dixie Rainbow/Pionner Roosters in Albany, NY!?! Free to a good home!
-Sarah

I find them to be active foragers too. They don't have to range over any great space in my tractor pen, but they find what's there, and tear up and devour all the greens that I throw to them.

Wooddogs3: I can almost guarantee that my EE roo x Pioneer hen chicks will produce olive eggs, have a pea comb, and be good sized birds... Of course, I know better than to count my chicks before they hatch.

Sarah, you should have no difficulty rehoming big roosters this time of year, but I can almost guarantee that they will end up in someone's stew pot.

After watching the development of my Pioneer pullet over the last month, I'd guess that if any of my gals choose to go broody in the spring, it might be her. She does love that nest box!!!

Last edited:
Thanks!! I felt so lucky today to find this mother/daughter at a Poultry Swap meet (who knew they had such a thing?!?) that just loved one of them to bits. Of course, he turned on the charm and was super sweet, so they took him home. No stew pot for now! Brought 15 Roos and sold 5! Thought that was pretty good, and all the people wanted them for specific reasons in their flock. Phew!!! That's all I can ask :)

Very interesting,this topic. I have Red Broilers from Ideal. My 4th or 5th batch. I keep commenting on how big they are compared to previous batches. Unfortunately, they are also extremely aggressive and at 4 weeks they are already ravaging some of the smaller chicks. Today, I noticed one of the reds had his entire back plucked.
I've said several times in the last couple of weeks that the genetics of this hybrid must have changed.
I suspect all the colored broilers come from one or two genetics places. Probably close to the same or even exactly the same crosses.

Back
Top Bottom