Pip at Wrong End

HidingInTheHenHouse

Songster
11 Years
Jun 21, 2008
Indianapolis
Day 21 starts in 5 hours. I had one egg pip yesterday, but at the wrong end. It is one of those eggs that have almost equal ends, but I can tell this is the small end. I don't know if the air sac is at that end, because I didn't mark the end when I candled. There was a small spot of blood on the membrane where the chick pipped, but that has since turned old blood brown, so no active bleeding. The chick is alive and peeping, but hasn't started to zip yet.

Will this chick need help? Should I candle now and see where the air sac is, or is that no longer an issue since the chick can get outside air?

Humidity is 68%. Temp is 99.3-99.7.

I have had chicks pip the wrong end and make it out just fine. I would not open the bator to candle, it's not an issue, your going to start compromising your hatch, give him some time. My thoughts.

Any more pips or zips?
fl.gif

I have had some chicks pip and then wait 24 hours before coming out. Good luck, sit on your hands if you need to!
smile.png

Yes, I have 3 more eggs that have pipped now, so 4 of the 5. Not much progress on the first one yet. No zips. I can still hear it peeping and see its beak. I was hoping it would have hatched by now, since it has been almost 24 hours since pipping, but I will wait and see. I am not opening the incubator at all, but I will have to add a new wet sponge soon since the one in there now is almost dry.

Is the humidity ok at 65-70%? Should it be more humid than that?

Sometimes they can take several days to hatch. So long as you have others hatching fine I'd wait. If it's broken through the shell it's getting air so either the air sac was at that end or it bypassed it just fine. If there was no air sac and it just kept going it may have ended up pipping early anyway and would need more time to absorb the yolk and blood in the membrane. Either way helping now would probably be nothing but detrimentral. If the others all finish hatching and it hasn't made any progress a day later or if it seems to be getting too weak tomorrow then I would help. So long as it's still peeping and responds when you tap the bator or talk to it and there are other chicks hatching fine I'd leave it.

Taking them out to candle may kill the entire hatch or at least the ones you've got out of the humidity of the incubator. Otherwise it won't really make a difference. The only useful thing for candling a hatching egg is if all the others are done and one hasn't even pipped. You can candle to see if the chick is alive and it might hatch before discarding them as duds. Shouldn't be done until your pretty sure the eggs won't hatch anyway because of the risk of killing the chick in the process.

Back
Top Bottom