Pip but no zip-need help

I'm not familiar with hatching turkey eggs, but have done other species including ducks. Until lockdown your eggs should be loosing moisture. I wonder if your humidity might be a bit high during the first part of incubation. It is higher than what I would use for ducks.
I thought about that. It just made sense for it to be that (and I read about keeping it that high) so that the shell softens for them to pip and break through it. For chicks it is 45-55%, so it made sense to me that 63-65% would be a logical humidity for a harder eggshell. 🤔

It won't hurt to quickly open the incubator and take that egg out. Close it quickly too.

I use a pair of tweezers to "zip" the egg. Remove the top of the egg. Check to see if the membrane has dried. If not, put the egg back in the incubator and let the poult kick its way free. If the membrane is dry and preventing it from moving freely, use warm water or coconut oil to moisten and remove the dried membrane. Work quickly and gently. If there are any blood vessels, it is too soon to help.
Very clear. Thank you. I have been watching the egg closely and it appears the chick is breaking more and more of the shell and I am on the fence about letting it continue…although it is going slowly. Another chick just broke out of its shell and is almost completely free of it. It is very wet, so I will wait until it dries just a bit first and breaks completely free…then possibly try your suggestion. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom