Pip but no zip-need help

Running calibrated hygrometer
People have been successfully hatching for very long times without knowing what the actual humidity is. Knowing the development of the air cell is far more important.

Knowing what the actual humidity can be helpful and time saving if you know the correlation between your humidity and the air cell development.

People have been successfully hatching for very long times without knowing what the actual humidity is. Knowing the development of the air cell is far more important.

Knowing what the actual humidity can be helpful and time saving if you know the correlation between your humidity and the air cell development.
I get what you are saying
I get 100 % hatch rates
I mark my air cells
I weigh my eggs
I make adjustments to humidity if my air cells and weight loss are to low or to great at half way mark
But having calibrated hygrometer and thermometer helps me to keep that accurate

I get what you are saying
I get 100 % hatch rates
I mark my air cells
I weigh my eggs
I make adjustments to humidity if my air cells and weight loss are to low or to great at half way mark
But having calibrated hygrometer and thermometer helps me to keep that accurate
You are doing it the best way.

Thank you everyone. So far, we have 5 out of the 13 that have hatched…thankfully. 😥
There is one that pipped at least 48 hours ago. I see the beak through the shell and it appears it is ‘eating’ on the membrane (?). I can’t see all the eggs to see if anything is pipping, but I am considering whether or not I should take the chance of opening the incubator (and possibly creating a problem for another one pipping that I just can’t see) and helping the little one. UGH. Tough decision. I mean, will this little one be strong enough to live?

Like others I agree your humidity was to high during incubation
I do ducks and they need higher humidity and I still only do 40-45 % during and 65-70 in lockdown
If it’s been 48 hours since external pip I would be checking those eggs
If you have a bathroom with a shower you could move the bator in there
Turn on the shower ti hot and let it run a few mins
This heats the room and gives humidity so you can pull the egg out ti check it and not have it shrink wrap
A second though is did they external pip within the air cell ? If not they could take an extra 24 hours to hatch as they skip the air cell time so we add it to external pip
Running calibrated hygrometer and thermometer in the bator is key to making sure your accurate
Bators always seem off a little
Good luck and keep us posted
Hi. The shower idea is great. I have been watching this little one and it seems to be working a larger hole now. I am hoping 🙏 it continues in this direction and will keep a close eye. If it stops or slows at all I will try the shower idea. Meanwhile…there are 2 others pipping larger holes now too….and very active.

Thank you everyone. So far, we have 5 out of the 13 that have hatched…thankfully. 😥
There is one that pipped at least 48 hours ago. I see the beak through the shell and it appears it is ‘eating’ on the membrane (?). I can’t see all the eggs to see if anything is pipping, but I am considering whether or not I should take the chance of opening the incubator (and possibly creating a problem for another one pipping that I just can’t see) and helping the little one. UGH. Tough decision. I mean, will this little one be strong enough to live?
It won't hurt to quickly open the incubator and take that egg out. Close it quickly too.

I use a pair of tweezers to "zip" the egg. Remove the top of the egg. Check to see if the membrane has dried. If not, put the egg back in the incubator and let the poult kick its way free. If the membrane is dry and preventing it from moving freely, use warm water or coconut oil to moisten and remove the dried membrane. Work quickly and gently. If there are any blood vessels, it is too soon to help.

It won't hurt to quickly open the incubator and take that egg out. Close it quickly too.

I use a pair of tweezers to "zip" the egg. Remove the top of the egg. Check to see if the membrane has dried. If not, put the egg back in the incubator and let the poult kick its way free. If the membrane is dry and preventing it from moving freely, use warm water or coconut oil to moisten and remove the dried membrane. Work quickly and gently. If there are any blood vessels, it is too soon to help.
Very clear. Thank you. I have been watching the egg closely and it appears the chick is breaking more and more of the shell and I am on the fence about letting it continue…although it is going slowly. Another chick just broke out of its shell and is almost completely free of it. It is very wet, so I will wait until it dries just a bit first and breaks completely free…then possibly try your suggestion. Thanks again.

Hi. The shower idea is great. I have been watching this little one and it seems to be working a larger hole now. I am hoping 🙏 it continues in this direction and will keep a close eye. If it stops or slows at all I will try the shower idea. Meanwhile…there are 2 others pipping larger holes now too….and very active.
It wouldn’t be a bad policy to hang tight and wait since it is/was still making progress. For instance, if two others are at a similar stage and making progress, wait until those two hatch, and then evaluate the progress of the questionable one. (For future reference.)
Very clear. Thank you. I have been watching the egg closely and it appears the chick is breaking more and more of the shell and I am on the fence about letting it continue…although it is going slowly. Another chick just broke out of its shell and is almost completely free of it. It is very wet, so I will wait until it dries just a bit first and breaks completely free…then possibly try your suggestion. Thanks again.
Oh man! A cliffhanger! :barnieHow did this hatch end?! Did you continue in a different thread somewhere?

It wouldn’t be a bad policy to hang tight and wait since it is/was still making progress. For instance, if two others are at a similar stage and making progress, wait until those two hatch, and then evaluate the progress of the questionable one. (For future reference.)

Oh man! A cliffhanger! :barnieHow did this hatch end?! Did you continue in a different thread somewhere?
Hi. Thanks so much for all the advice. We did let the chick continue hatching…but it did not live. We are so sad about it. I can’t figure that we really could have done anything different to change the outcome. It’s just so sad when it happens.

Back
Top Bottom