pip on bottom of egg??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jennyhaschicks, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Well I have my first pip. Today is day 20.
    The chick pipped the bottom of the egg. Not directly on the bottom, but off to the side in the lower quarter of the egg.
    Is that a bad thing? Don't they usually pip on the top of the egg?

2. ForkCity

ForkCity Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2009
    I wouldn't have the slightest clue, but I could guess that it doesn't matter.. If it's been long enough anyways.. And as long as they don't walk upside down, haha!

3. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    make sure the membrane is broken so he can breathe...no air cell to breathe in...he may be ok...

4. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I tried to see the pip and I can't. I just can see where the egg shells fell through the wire mesh.
    These are my first grand babies so I am an extra nervous.

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I had 2 chicks pip on the bottom of the egg today. 1 hatched out just fine, the other I helped.

I waited a couple hours, no progress. So I gently peeled off the shell. I wet the membrane and saw that the veins were still full. So I set him back in the bator for another maybe 4 hours. Checked on him again, all veins sucked up. So I slowly peeled the membrane back and popped his head out. He started peeping like mad. So I checked to make sure his yolk was all absorbed, and it was. So I set him back in the bator. Hes doing great. Glad I helped or he would have died.

6. Jennyhaschicks

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    The chick hasn't made much head way. Pipped a bit more, but not much. The egg is still rocking.
    How long should I let the chick go like this for?

7. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    so you can see his beak? if it is actually a little hole the chick may be able to do the rest...

8. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    They do that from time to time, Lord only knows why, I guess it's like a brech birth?
    They usually come out on their own just fine, dont get over angious and hurt it by trying to help it out. Some chicks take 24-36 hours to hacth, some bust out like the incredible hulk.
    Give him over night and if you see no progress, gentley help it out a bit, but as Sundown said, watch for full veins on the membraine, That's sign that they just werent ready, and you can kill them that way if you arent carfull
    Aubrey

9. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I had one pip there as well, just this morning. It did not make it out of the egg [​IMG]

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    no , unfortunatly some times these dont make it, but it's natures way I guess
    Aubrey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by