pip on bottom of egg??

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
Well I have my first pip. Today is day 20.
The chick pipped the bottom of the egg. Not directly on the bottom, but off to the side in the lower quarter of the egg.
Is that a bad thing? Don't they usually pip on the top of the egg?

I had 2 chicks pip on the bottom of the egg today. 1 hatched out just fine, the other I helped.

I waited a couple hours, no progress. So I gently peeled off the shell. I wet the membrane and saw that the veins were still full. So I set him back in the bator for another maybe 4 hours. Checked on him again, all veins sucked up. So I slowly peeled the membrane back and popped his head out. He started peeping like mad. So I checked to make sure his yolk was all absorbed, and it was. So I set him back in the bator. Hes doing great. Glad I helped or he would have died.

They do that from time to time, Lord only knows why, I guess it's like a brech birth?
They usually come out on their own just fine, dont get over angious and hurt it by trying to help it out. Some chicks take 24-36 hours to hacth, some bust out like the incredible hulk.
Give him over night and if you see no progress, gentley help it out a bit, but as Sundown said, watch for full veins on the membraine, That's sign that they just werent ready, and you can kill them that way if you arent carfull
Aubrey

I wouldn't have the slightest clue, but I could guess that it doesn't matter.. If it's been long enough anyways.. And as long as they don't walk upside down, haha!

Quote:
I tried to see the pip and I can't. I just can see where the egg shells fell through the wire mesh.
These are my first grand babies so I am an extra nervous.

The chick hasn't made much head way. Pipped a bit more, but not much. The egg is still rocking.
How long should I let the chick go like this for?

I had one pip there as well, just this morning. It did not make it out of the egg
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom