Pip on bottom of shell ... ??? HAPPY UPDATE WITH PICS, P 2.

Cherstin

Songster
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
North Port, FL
I have a peeping chick that has decided to make it's way into the world backwards and has pipped on the bottom of the shell. My natural instinct was to slowly turn the egg so the pip is now at the top to lessen the chance of drowning. The pip is on the side of the egg toward the fat end where the air cell is and the membrane is right there, directly flush with the egg. I was under the impression the chick would pip first into the air cell, then thru the shell. It doesn't seem that it pipped into the air sac but rather directly thru the side of the egg and membrane.

I've been very excited but now feel rather defeated after searching BYC and Google for "chicken pipped on bottom of egg." It seems most people who've experienced this liken it to a breech birth and most eggs don't survive. Is there anything I can do to up the chances of this chick hatching and surviving? Any tips appreciated.

Last edited:
I am a little confused here. Did the chick pip toward the fat end of the egg or the pointy end? Do you mean it pipped on the fat end, but on the underneath side instead of the top of the egg?

Quote:
Yes. Wait, sorry for the confusion. I wish I knew how people did those cool diagrams on here.

My eggs are on their sides, but with the air cell raised higher than the pointy end. If you viewed it from the side, it would look like a kids' see-saw with the pointy side of the egg lower than the fat end. The pip was on the underside of the egg, about halfway down the length of the egg but on the incubator side instead of the "top" of the egg.

(I'm not sure if that description made it better or worse.)
sad.png

can you take pics and post them? im new at this but know they are supposed to pip at the fat end of the egg. i have mine in a tunner and when i go into lockdown will be taking them out and they will be laying on their sides

Quote:
Yes. Wait, sorry for the confusion. I wish I knew how people did those cool diagrams on here.

My eggs are on their sides, but with the air cell raised higher than the pointy end. If you viewed it from the side, it would look like a kids' see-saw with the pointy side of the egg lower than the fat end. The pip was on the underside of the egg, about halfway down the length of the egg but on the incubator side instead of the "top" of the egg.

(I'm not sure if that description made it better or worse.)
sad.png

Better, thank you. There really should not be a problem with this egg hatching. The ones that are problems in my experience are the ones that pip on the pointy end. i think you will be just fine
big_smile.png

is it looking like this? if so i'm sure it will be fine as long as its the fat end of the egg.

103640_untitled.png

Last edited:
My little guy did the same thing he pipped in the middle of the egg straight thru it and was only getting air thru a teeny little hole in the membrane which was very dried out when i checked it the mext morning and i had to assist him to hatch

Yes! Very nearly exactly! I always thought the pip occured on top of the egg, and it zipped around the air sac. This pip came on the bottom, no where near the air sac. I am about to post a drawing, but yes, you are nearly spot-on. Have you heard of this before? The chick pipping below the egg rather than toward the sky?

Back
Top Bottom