Pip on day 18?? Handled it before I saw...help :(

TheBanditQueen

Songster
9 Years
Jun 1, 2013
Today is day 18 (counting up to 21).

Just now I opened up the incubators, removed the eggs (gently), removed the egg turners, and started putting the eggs back in.

So, one egg starts rolling across the counter. I snare it and put it back. And it went "CHIRP". And then it rolled again. And I saw a pip.

Not enough to see a beak yet, just the first crack, but definitely a pip.

So I put them all back as quick and carefully as I could...but now I'm worried about it (and any others) having been jostled too much. I was careful, and I don't think they were out of the bator for much more than a minute, but could it have damaged a fragile pip? :(

Haven't heard any more chirps since I put them back... Hoping I didn't murder any chicks accidentally. Of course the pipped one would be one of the eggs from my favorite chicken, that I REALLY REALLY want to see hatch!

I know there's not much I can do about it now. I've never seen a pip this early. Is it unusual? What is the likelihood of damage, having been taken out and handled after having pipped?

Thanks in advance for all advice!

Thanks, all! Reassurance much appreciated. Early pipper is currently chirping loudly and rolling around! Whew!

Well shoot, as of a couple hours ago, it was still just pipped. I turned my back long enough to go tuck the other chickens in for the night, came back in, and fluffy little nugget is hatched and running around playing soccer with the other eggs. That was...fast. :p

Back
Top Bottom