Pip on smaller end of egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chknaddict, Jun 10, 2010.

1. chknaddict

chknaddict In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    We're at the end of day 19 and I just found a pipped egg about an hour ago. It's toward the small end of the egg, though...should I be worried. I've had zero success with my last two hatches (hatched one batch successfully before that). We just have a LG forced air incubator and had trouble with temps, so for this round I tried the thermometer in the water wiggler method. Temps seem to be running 100.5 in the day and 98.5 at night (due to our house being cooler at night, I guess) but I can't seem to get them exact so finally gave up and left them at that rather than constantly fiddling with it.

Thanks for any help.

2. SweetMotherOfMars

SweetMotherOfMars Chirping

Aug 24, 2009
    The Palouse
    I'm not sure how worried you need to be about the pip at the small end. [​IMG]

I wouldn't be too stressed about the temperature swings, though. A constant temperature *would* be best, but as humans have diurnal changes in temperature, I'm betting a broody hen might as well. (Even the pressure in a water well changes from night to day!)

There are enough things to worry about when hatching, here's hoping this hatch goes much better than the last! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. chknaddict

chknaddict In the Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    Well, now we have 4 eggs pipped and 3 are on the smaller end. [​IMG]

4. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I am on day 19 also and I think I have a pip on one of my eggs. From the angle I am looking at it seems that way. We will see. When I candled yesterday it didn't seem like there was movement in a lot of my eggs but they are dark inside so I just left them in there in case they hatch. I started out with more eggs in my incubator than what there is in there right now. A lot of infertile eggs and quitters and a few rotten ones too. Good luck with your hatch.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. joe17

joe17 Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I hatch many eggs that pip on the wrong end. At the time, I didnt know it had to be in the air sac so I thought it was normal. No worries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: