Pip to Zip

Kdharrison86

Hatching
Apr 10, 2023
Hi all,

I'm looking for some reassurance really.

This is my second brood incubating (my first were not viable).
I have Cayugas :) and have 5 eggs in a cheapie Amazon incubator. It was a gift from my husband and figured it was worth a shot.

This lot have progressed consistently, with veins and wriggles and cheeps and tapping... right on schedule, even early in one egg case.
They went in the incubator on the 7th March.
They began wriggling on the 31st March. First cheeping and tapping to get out was on Saturday 8th April. Eventually poked out yesterday, just a little beak space and hasn't progressed much today though was EXTREMELY active about 4pm. Noisy bugger.
However, one its neighbours had smashed a good section out today while we were out, from no action to full brick through window... but now nothing. No cheeping, no wriggling, no movement. Just radio silence.
And the other 3 haven't made any moves to vacate their shells either....

They've both been silent since 6.30ish.

I've heard they can rest quite a bit after the initial hole is created... but I'm a nervous control freak and panicking that they're dying in there.

Would you leave them? Or assist with misting and tweezers?
The picture is the one who smashed today.

Attachments

• 20230410_171248.jpg
    20230410_171248.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi all,

I'm looking for some reassurance really.

This is my second brood incubating (my first were not viable).
I have Cayugas :) and have 5 eggs in a cheapie Amazon incubator. It was a gift from my husband and figured it was worth a shot.

This lot have progressed consistently, with veins and wriggles and cheeps and tapping... right on schedule, even early in one egg case.
They went in the incubator on the 7th March.
They began wriggling on the 31st March. First cheeping and tapping to get out was on Saturday 8th April. Eventually poked out yesterday, just a little beak space and hasn't progressed much today though was EXTREMELY active about 4pm. Noisy bugger.
However, one its neighbours had smashed a good section out today while we were out, from no action to full brick through window... but now nothing. No cheeping, no wriggling, no movement. Just radio silence.
And the other 3 haven't made any moves to vacate their shells either....

They've both been silent since 6.30ish.

I've heard they can rest quite a bit after the initial hole is created... but I'm a nervous control freak and panicking that they're dying in there.

Would you leave them? Or assist with misting and tweezers?
The picture is the one who smashed today.
Just to say, they were shrink wrapped :(
I don't know how long they can survive while shrink wrapped. Nobody can tell me.
I have peeled back the shell on each and been careful about misting and the membrane and the veins and popped them back in the incubator- but neither duckling is moving or chirping so I'm pretty sure they're dead. Really kicking myself for not intervening last night.

Attachments

• 20230411_172501.jpg
    20230411_172501.jpg
    359.9 KB · Views: 5
To me that doesn’t look like a normal zip
Baby went to the end of the egg not around
At that point I would help
For the one with the shell off I myself would never take that much shell
You want to stay within the air cell area ti better monitor veins
The membrane is really brown
I would wet the membrane not with water
Use q tip and coconut oil to look for veins
You could move a bit of membrane from the beak area of the veins are gone and see if baby is still alive

Just for reference
After external pip babies can take 24-48 hours to hatch
Usually after starting to zip it’s within a few hours to 10 mins
But if they make a big hole in one spot and not around or go to the end of the egg and not around thry are often in wrong position

Back
Top Bottom