Pip with no zips

BKlipstine1

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 12, 2011
Today is day 21 for my hatch and this is my first time doing this so Im nervous... We had our first pip at 5 am this morning and still no zip... should i be concerned... i have 10 eggs of which im sure 8 had babys last i candled. Im not sure which egg the chirping is coming from!!! 5 of the 10 have pipped throughout today but just tiny bumps in the shell nothing more.. the first one to pip has pushed the pip a little further out about 1 pm. were going on 14 hours without zip... what should i do??? is this normal?

Sometimes it can take up to 24 hours or more to zip. Make sure you humidity is up around 60% and you should be OK. After 24 hours I would consider looking in to helping but remember you are risking any other eggs that have pipped a shrink wrap which can typically kill them.

I have one myself I'm waiting on, it has been since 9am. I don't have any other visible pips, but I'm not sure if I should risk it. If you do decide to help here's some good info on how.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=491013

Make sure your humidity is right on, then don't touch the bator. I am lucky and get pip and zip quickly...last one on Sunday pipped and less than 10 minutes later was out on day 20....be patient with that many pips and don't open the bator! Good luck!

I have had quite a few chicks that have taken up to 24 hours to hatch. Make sure you keep the humidity at the right level. I spray mine with warm water if it gets to dry espcially when you can see the chick, works nearly everytime.

Good news!!! 6 out of the 10 hatched without assistance throughout the night.... 4 still have no pip but im pretty sure 2 of those didnt develop i was just terrified to take them out
hmm.png
.... today is day 21 until 6:30 pm tonight so i'll keep watching for the others... but 6 out of 10 is pretty good for 1st timer!!!
smile.png
Thanks for all the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom