pip'd wrong end *photo

This chick chirped all night and was active but never turned to continue its hole. I'm going to leave it as is for a few hours and see if it progresses any on its own.

Have you dampened the membrane with a wet q-tip? If you do so, be very careful that you don't get any water inside the membrane. Some folks use a bit of neosporin on the membrane. Be sure it doesn't have any pain killer med in it. I'd be most comfortable using water. I'm guessing it's stuck, perhaps malpositioned. Give a few hours, then check again. Look at the article regarding malpositions, see if you can figure out if that might be the issue. If it's head is stuck between it's feet, there's no way it can turn to complete the zip.

That chick has been in the same position for 19 hours now. It's moving it's head some and cherping but has not turned at all. I have had 1 pip, zip and hatch since this morning!

I'm terrified of opening the malpositioned chick too early and hurting it... I may try to peel a small amount of shell off and see if I can see its feet. I've used water and moistened the membrane. The outer membrane is very similar to paper. The inner membrane is stretchy but not what I would call sticky.... but this is my very first hatch so I could be wrong.

I picked at the shell more. It appears that it's head is under its right wing just like it should be. I don't see the feet. I think it's just completely upside down in the egg. I didn't see any blood vessels so I assume they have all receded. I didn't open it all the way up tho in fear of the yolk sac not being completely absorbed.

No more blood in that membrane? Any action from the other eggs? I think it can be a good 24 hours from internal pip to external pip, and in this case, the internal pip and external pip were both the same. So, you could just wait a bit longer. I'd wait it out a bit, since it appears that the head is in the right position. If still no action in an other 4 hours or so, you might open a bit more. What's happening with the rest??? If it starts to act a bit weaker, you might need to finish the job. But... slow and sure wins the race. Once you've gone past a certain point, you're in full on commit to completing an assisted hatch.

I just watered the membrane and picked at a little more shell. Hes getting weak I think? Hes not chirping as much. I've had 1 complete hatch and all but 2 of the others has an external pip but no zipping yet. No blood in the membrane and I've gotten right wing, head, neck and right foot exposed. His back, butt, left leg and 3/4 of belly are still behind shell and membrane.

Last edited:
Chick is completely hatched! I have 4 fuzzy babies in the brooder. 4 eggs with no internal or external pip and 2 eggs with an external pip but not zipping.

Back
Top Bottom