Pipd's Peeps!

I finally found an egg laid today after a winter hiatus and it was broken in the nest. It wasn't eaten though, so I'm thinking soft shell. But, I'm not sure who laid it as all of the hens are still looking pretty pale. Only my cockerel has a red comb. šŸ¤” :lau

Oh, huh, that's weird! Although, I guess I did find an egg from one of the older silkied Cochin girls in their pen yesterday and neither of them has colored up yet--and I'm pretty sure Gus isn't the one who laid it! šŸ¤£ If your girls are cooperative with the idea, you could always check their butts to figure out who is laying. Dry, pale, scrunched vents almost certainly are not current layers, and, err, moist and more colorful vents typically mean that that hen is laying or about to start laying. It's awkward, but could give you some answers. šŸ˜

A quick shot, just because I've not taken any in a while, of Harriet on this frosty, 0F / -18C morning šŸ„¶ She was much too busy to pose because she was digging through the leaves I threw down to keep them moving around in this cold. (Featuring Tessa grumping in the background because I turned the thermostat down way too low, thank you very much šŸ¤£ )

1643206502400.png

I think I've confirmed that the mystery brown eggs I've been finding in the dropping tray belong to Armada, or at least the ones that are being laid in the corner rather than looking like being dropped from the perch at night. I've now found some silkied white feathers along with one of them in the corner.

Isolde's comb and wattles have gotten quite large and flush, so she may be the one laying from the perch, but I have yet to confirm that for sure. Other than the pullets, the only ones who perch over there regularly are Reinette (who lays a large, dark brown egg), Mona, Ganymede (both green eggers), Fifi (a blue-green egger), and Mallow (who, well, doesn't lay too many eggs being a cockerel and all :p ). It realistically has to be either Isolde or Neela laying those eggs (unless someone's laying there during the day for some reason?), and I'm definitely leaning toward Izzy. Their vents both look very similar, so butt checks are inconclusive on them.

Funny that you just posted, I was coming in to say to say that I got another egg. This one wasn't broken. So, now I know it's one of my black australorps laying. Just haven't figured out which one yet since by the time I see them they are roosting, it's cold, and I don't feel like bothering them. šŸ˜

Last edited:
Oooh, well, at least you're getting closer to finding out for sure! It certainly is cold, frigid at this point! We're looking at -1F / -18.3C tonight, so I've just made sure everyone was cozy and let them be. šŸ„¶

I'm just happy to get an egg - a chicken egg. :wee I get 3-4 duck eggs daily that I can't eat. So, to get even 1 chicken egg makes me happy these days. šŸ˜„

Sooo... we've gotten a little bit of snow :eek:

1643934680160.png

That was this morning and it continued to snow all day, too :th I didn't think to take a picture this evening before I started shoveling some of it out of the way and it was dark by the time I was finished, but it's roughly knee high on me now. Hard to tell exactly how close to the knee it is when you're all suited up in a ton of snow gear! šŸ¤£

Anyway, needless to say, the birds are not coming outside right now. I've been keeping them on lock down since the hawk anyway, so at least with the snow on the ground they aren't interested in coming out of their coops anymore.

Not much else to report beyond the bunch of grumpy, snowed in chickens. :p I hope everyone else impacted is faring fine in this snowstorm!

Back
Top Bottom