Pipd's Peeps!

Yep, I'm in northern IN. I've seen a few wasps, but nothing extreme. But, this afternoon I saw a wasp on the screen door as I walked out. I thought it got in the sleeve of my blouse and was paranoid that I was about to get stung every time my sleeve touched my skin. It was a flowy sleeve so it really helped the imagination. 🤣

Dang, I wonder what we've done to attract them all, then! 🤣 I definitely get you on the sleeve thing! Every time I move just right and something brushes against me, I just know it's a wasp!

Well, I had a bit of an exciting evening last night, putting the birds to bed for the night. First of all, yesterday, during the girls' free-range time, there was a sudden panic and I saw a few hens run toward the coop from my window, but by the time I got out there everyone was acting normal. So I thought that was weird, but I didn't put much into it because there were no feathers or anything and everyone seemed fine.

At coop closing time, I immediately noticed that my ancient Partridge Rock, She Who, was not in her corner of the coop. She's about 10 years old now and has issues with balance and weakness in her legs, so she sleeps on the floor in the corner of the coop. Of course, my first thought with her missing is of that moment earlier with the birds running toward the coop, so now I'm worried.

I went out into the woods and start looking around for feathers. Still nothing on that front. I'm thinking, with her balance and weakness, I've seen her trip on a log and not be able to get back to her feet, so she could just be laying somewhere... But I still am not seeing anything. Then I thought, what if she got too close to the creek and fell in? It's shallow, so she would be wet, but otherwise okay if that was the case. I hiked all the way out there and, nope, she's not there either. It's kinda far out there anyway so I wasn't really confident in that thought anyway.

I start heading back toward the house, trying to decide if I'm going to go back toward the woods and sweep for feathers again or go up by the deck where the girls wait for treats and see if maybe I somehow missed her there when I initially looked. She is a brown hen in a woods, so who knows? At this point, though, I'm thinking she's very likely gone, so I'm worn out and ready to go inside. I decide I'll go by the deck just in case, as there are some denser areas that would be hard to see a bird in from a distance and... sure enough, there she is, laying on her back and unable to get to her feet!

All I can think of is if I had decided to go out to sweep the woods again, I certainly would have missed her and she'd be gone by this morning. I guess I made the right choice to look by the deck again, but I came so close to passing by there and I wouldn't have seen her where she was.
forehead wipe whew.gif
She was woozy and thirsty, but otherwise okay, and she seems back to normal this morning. Thank goodness!

Talk about feeling bugs that aren't there, though! After hiking around the woods looking for her, I can still feel ticks everywhere on me that aren't actually there! 🤣

Oh my. I'm glad you found her. ❤

The boys got their new home. They said they were keeping them, not eating them. When I messaged them after I got home, they had already named them. I never really named them. I tried to but none ever stuck.
I'm glad they've got new digs.

Aww, I'm happy for them! That sounds a lot like the Old English boys I rehomed last year. They had been named Johnny and Sydney by the time I got home from dropping them off. 🤭 Their new owner kept me updated for a couple months after that, but I haven't heard from that guy in a while. Maybe I'll send a message through and see how the boys are doing.

I haven't had any luck on the Orpington boys, so I added a note today that I'm willing to discuss their price as long as they're going to a good home. I get the feeling that's the main reason why no one is asking about them. I just don't want to see them go to someone's freezer, but of course I can't control what other people do once those boys are in someone else's possession. This is going back to that having a hard time letting go post, I guess! :hmm

In other news, whoops, I never took the babies' 4-week pictures yesterday! :oops: Gotta get that done today.

And my eggs ship tomorrow!! :wee I am both extremely excited... and extremely anxious!

The babies today! They're starting to look like chickens now! Well, the Cochin is at least--the naked neck is looking more like a turkey. 🤣

silkied cochin.jpg
silkied cochin close up.jpg

(She blinked, but it was the best close up I got of her 🤭 )

nn bantam.jpg
nn bantam close up.jpg

And the two of them together :love

two lil birdies.jpg

Bonus picture of the Cochin looking at a bird that flew by the nearby window. She's so tall! :eek:

silkied cochin tall.jpg

Now, these following pictures are from Friday, oops! I took them for a spin outside and then had my mom keep an eye on them there so that I could vacuum my room and clean up a bit without traumatizing them. 🤭 Taking them outside kinda traumatized them anyway because it was their first time out. I know, that's pretty late in life for a first trip out, but the weather hadn't been cooperating and then I didn't feel well most of last week when it was finally nice.

Anyway, here they are seeing the great outdoors for the first time. :love

1 first look.jpg
2 great outdoors.jpg

Fifi checked that naked neck bantam out quite closely. Certainly, that couldn't be an actual baby chicken?!

3 nn meets fifi.jpg
4 fifi doesnt approve.jpg

Some more reassurance on my lap, and they were poking around like champs. :love

5 lap time.jpg

Oh, and one last shot of Findlay. She reacted so strongly to seeing them, like she was shocked, appalled, even outraged at these little creatures existing in her space! :eek:

6 findlay is outraged.jpg

I also showed the little Cochin bantam to her parents and their flockmates. Pete was not sure how to react, and Harley wouldn't even approach. 🤣 But auntie Washburne sure came over, and even flared her hackles up at the sight of the little one! Pretty funny coming from one of the two out of that coop who've gone broody already!

I'd love to have a nice rooster, but I think only 5 girls isn't enough. I had a blue wyandotte rooster who was very docile. He didn't survive his first winter here. It was years ago when we had those super frigid temps that got to like 70 below.
Then, Freckles who I hatched and was a turd. But, also Maizie is still acting off and she doesn't need the stress of a rooster.
Today I was planting a garden so they were all out in the yard. Then, I put them away for lunch and took my dogs for a walk. I came back to let them out again and Maizie is in the run laying on her back. From the door of the run, it looked like she was dead. I went over to her and she was alive, but the way she was laying, it looked like her neck was broke. I went to turn her over and she jumped up like nothing was wrong.
:confused: The only thing I can think is maybe its mareks? She's at least 4 yr old, so I would think it would have shown up by now. But, I don't know enough about it - just what I've read.

Anyway, while I was in the run earlier the ducks were acting crazy and quacking and ran into the run. I thought something was out in the yard after them. I went to check and to do a head count.
I couldn't find ZuZu. I looked everywhere. So, I went to get my container of corn and there she was in the shed. Pardon the mess - I haven't had time for spring cleaning. 😆

20220515_103952.jpg

Oh and you want to know what the ducks were fussing about? I had filled the larger pool and I guess they were ecstatic!

The babies today! They're starting to look like chickens now! Well, the Cochin is at least--the naked neck is looking more like a turkey. 🤣

View attachment 3109103View attachment 3109105
(She blinked, but it was the best close up I got of her 🤭 )

View attachment 3109102View attachment 3109104

And the two of them together :love

View attachment 3109107

Bonus picture of the Cochin looking at a bird that flew by the nearby window. She's so tall! :eek:

View attachment 3109106

Now, these following pictures are from Friday, oops! I took them for a spin outside and then had my mom keep an eye on them there so that I could vacuum my room and clean up a bit without traumatizing them. 🤭 Taking them outside kinda traumatized them anyway because it was their first time out. I know, that's pretty late in life for a first trip out, but the weather hadn't been cooperating and then I didn't feel well most of last week when it was finally nice.

Anyway, here they are seeing the great outdoors for the first time. :love

View attachment 3109111View attachment 3109113

Fifi checked that naked neck bantam out quite closely. Certainly, that couldn't be an actual baby chicken?!

View attachment 3109114View attachment 3109116

Some more reassurance on my lap, and they were poking around like champs. :love

View attachment 3109118

Oh, and one last shot of Findlay. She reacted so strongly to seeing them, like she was shocked, appalled, even outraged at these little creatures existing in her space! :eek:

View attachment 3109119

I also showed the little Cochin bantam to her parents and their flockmates. Pete was not sure how to react, and Harley wouldn't even approach. 🤣 But auntie Washburne sure came over, and even flared her hackles up at the sight of the little one! Pretty funny coming from one of the two out of that coop who've gone broody already!
These are great pics. Do you just use your phone or do you have an actual camera?

I'd love to have a nice rooster, but I think only 5 girls isn't enough. I had a blue wyandotte rooster who was very docile. He didn't survive his first winter here. It was years ago when we had those super frigid temps that got to like 70 below.
Then, Freckles who I hatched and was a turd. But, also Maizie is still acting off and she doesn't need the stress of a rooster.
Today I was planting a garden so they were all out in the yard. Then, I put them away for lunch and took my dogs for a walk. I came back to let them out again and Maizie is in the run laying on her back. From the door of the run, it looked like she was dead. I went over to her and she was alive, but the way she was laying, it looked like her neck was broke. I went to turn her over and she jumped up like nothing was wrong.
:confused: The only thing I can think is maybe its mareks? She's at least 4 yr old, so I would think it would have shown up by now. But, I don't know enough about it - just what I've read.

Anyway, while I was in the run earlier the ducks were acting crazy and quacking and ran into the run. I thought something was out in the yard after them. I went to check and to do a head count.
I couldn't find ZuZu. I looked everywhere. So, I went to get my container of corn and there she was in the shed. Pardon the mess - I haven't had time for spring cleaning. 😆

View attachment 3109583

Oh and you want to know what the ducks were fussing about? I had filled the larger pool and I guess they were ecstatic!

Dang, 70 below?! :th Was that wind chill or actual temp?

Man, I'm sorry Maizie still isn't back to 100%. I'm not really sure on Marek's disease. I feel like I've heard of older birds coming down with it, but it also seems like it's most common around 6 months old, which I suppose doesn't mean they can't get it when older... Honestly, your story made me think of She Who, who gets stuck on her back pretty frequently like the other night. But, I don't know why she does it other than the fact that she is ancient by chicken standards, 10 years old. 🤔

ZuZu looks pretty satisfied with herself for finding a nice straw bale to sit on. 🤭 Silly ducks!

These are great pics. Do you just use your phone or do you have an actual camera?

Those pictures were taken with my good camera, a Nikon D3100. I got it like 10 years ago, so I'm sure it's an outdated model at this point, but it still does the job pretty well! 😊 I mostly only get it out for 'special occasions' like weekly pictures and first trips outside, though, so the rest of my pictures (like the million I take of Casper 🤣 ) are from my phone.

The 70 below included wind chills.

What type of chicken is She Who? My brahma has to be 6 or 7 right now. She was in my first set. All of her pals were Isa Browns. They have since left - the oldest at the time was 3. I was told she was an Easter egger, but when I posted her - others verified she was just a hatchery quality brahma. She does well and still lays sporadically - which is almost as good as when she was younger. Lol

Back
Top Bottom