Pipd's Peeps!

Look at the fluff over the nazel cavities!

View attachment 3792718
View attachment 3792719

Is this one a Spitz? Extra fluff in that area generally means they're going to be crested 🥰

They are so adorable!! 😍

And do you think this might be a Japanese? I bought chicks so I could fill out the 20 needed to replace the flock and ended up getting 4 bantams as well. Two polish and two unknow really tiny ones.
View attachment 3792732
View attachment 3792742
View attachment 3792743

Remind me, where did these little ones come from, Cackle? It could be a Japanese, but there are also OEGB varieties that could look like this as a chick, and Jap and OEGB chicks are pretty tough to tell apart. Shank color can be misleading this young, but does look yellowish so would kinda indicate Japanese. You might just have to wait until they're older to know for sure.

Photographic proof that I flipped their towel so they had a clean brooder first thing this morning. By now, I'm sure they've pooped everywhere... At least they're cute little poopin' machines, right? 🥲

1712406930195.png

Is this one a Spitz? Extra fluff in that area generally means they're going to be crested 🥰

They are so adorable!! 😍

Remind me, where did these little ones come from, Cackle? It could be a Japanese, but there are also OEGB varieties that could look like this as a chick, and Jap and OEGB chicks are pretty tough to tell apart. Shank color can be misleading this young, but does look yellowish so would kinda indicate Japanese. You might just have to wait until they're older to know for sure.
They are from TSC. I decided to do a short cut to get the 4 more I needed for the replacement hatch.

Yeah that one's either full Spitzhauben or a cross.

I think they are Japanese as there legs are shorter than the two polish bantams I picked up. I wonder if they are grays or blacks? Hope they end up being girls or ill have to sell them.

Ohhh, I don't know why I thought they were ordered chicks! :oops: Sounding more and more likely they are Japanese! Looks like Black and Gray Japanese are pretty much indistinguishable as chicks, so that one will have to wait on feathering to know for sure. Sending girly vibes your way for them! :fl

My niece and nephew brought home eclipse glasses from their school a week and a half ago, so we were able to safely view the eclipse here. We only got like a tiny bit over 99% coverage, but it was still pretty cool. I thought it visually was cooler before and after we reached our peak coverage. Here is ~5 minutes before peak:

1712605879405.png

Roughly our max coverage here:

1712605931339.png

And about 20 minutes or so after our peak, an adorably chubby crescent sun :love

1712605995893.png

Looking through the glasses, myself, at the time of that last picture, I could vaguely see the outline of the moon as well. Pretty neat!

Bringing it back to the chickens, I was keeping an eye on them to see what they'd do as well. We didn't get the total eclipse here, just 99% as I mentioned, but it did get rather dim out, probably roughly like just before roost time. Most of the birds... didn't seem to care. 😅 A few did start to gather up near their coops and do their nightly preening and socializing that they do just before roosting, but then went right back to business a few minutes later once it started lightening up again like nothing happened.

All in all, an interesting day. 🙂

My niece and nephew brought home eclipse glasses from their school a week and a half ago, so we were able to safely view the eclipse here. We only got like a tiny bit over 99% coverage, but it was still pretty cool. I thought it visually was cooler before and after we reached our peak coverage. Here is ~5 minutes before peak:

View attachment 3795620

Roughly our max coverage here:

View attachment 3795626

And about 20 minutes or so after our peak, an adorably chubby crescent sun :love

View attachment 3795629

Looking through the glasses, myself, at the time of that last picture, I could vaguely see the outline of the moon as well. Pretty neat!

Bringing it back to the chickens, I was keeping an eye on them to see what they'd do as well. We didn't get the total eclipse here, just 99% as I mentioned, but it did get rather dim out, probably roughly like just before roost time. Most of the birds... didn't seem to care. 😅 A few did start to gather up near their coops and do their nightly preening and socializing that they do just before roosting, but then went right back to business a few minutes later once it started lightening up again like nothing happened.

All in all, an interesting day. 🙂

The eclipse didn't reach us, thankfully. Glad your birds weren't affected. Heard people say the animals would go crazy. Seems too paranormal-y for me...

Yeah, I think a lot of people greatly overestimated how much the animals would even care. 😅 It did get sort of spookily quiet (except for roosters crowing) at and around our peak coverage, but there were still sounds here and there out in our woods. The dog and cat didn't care, other than that everyone went outside and the cat was confused why we all left. 🤭 Granted, we weren't total coverage here, but I can't imagine it would have been that much different. :idunno

Yeah, I think a lot of people greatly overestimated how much the animals would even care. 😅 It did get sort of spookily quiet (except for roosters crowing) at and around our peak coverage, but there were still sounds here and there out in our woods. The dog and cat didn't care, other than that everyone went outside and the cat was confused why we all left. 🤭 Granted, we weren't total coverage here, but I can't imagine it would have been that much different. :idunno

Yup. I imagine it would've been like a very dark night for the animals nothing more, nothing less

Back
Top Bottom