Pipd's Peeps!

Buck is handsome! He looks like he's questioning your choices to move him though 🤣 that's good that he's being helpful to the hens even though he's not sure why he's in there 😊

I have a young cockerel in with some pullets, they surprised me by starting to lay last week so I had to get an oyster shell dish in there. He was such a good boy, he got all excited and called them over and was pecking at it and got all his ladies to try it :love he's not perfect to the SOP, but he's such a sweetie so it makes it tempting to at least hatch a few chicks from him.

He's definitely very confused. He's never had free access to hens without fence in between him and them, so I don't think he even knows what to do with them 🤭 They're squatting like crazy for him and he's just like what???

Ahh, a rooster with a good temperament is hard to resist! 😍 I'd be tempted to hatch from him as well! If his hens are good and typey and he's not too far off the standard, then they could still make some pretty babies. ;)

Nope and she will be 1yr in May.

Oh, she's pretty young still! It'll be interesting to see if she sticks it out and actually hatches anything.

Here's the peep update! :love I didn't quite get everything around to move them to the bigger brooder (I've not been feeling great for a few days now, so I've kinda been dragging my feet on getting things moving 😅 ), but they should be good to move over first thing in the morning.

Anyway, the peeps themselves! Look at these goons! :th

peep update.jpg

The keeper peepers:

keeper peeps.jpg

Judy booties:

judy booty blue.jpg
judy booty splash.jpg

The non-Judy booty (who sure is looking like a cockerel already... 😬 ) :

non judy booty splash.jpg

And the non-keeper babies:

non-keepers.jpg

Here's the peep update! :love I didn't quite get everything around to move them to the bigger brooder (I've not been feeling great for a few days now, so I've kinda been dragging my feet on getting things moving 😅 ), but they should be good to move over first thing in the morning.

View attachment 3797526

The keeper peepers:

View attachment 3797523

Judy booties:

View attachment 3797521View attachment 3797522

View attachment 3797524

View attachment 3797525

May I ask how you can tell? I can't see a difference

May I ask how you can tell? I can't see a difference

Do you mean about the suspect cockerel? To be honest, I'm suspicious of both of the Splashes (and a few others), which may be why you're not seeing a difference in them. The one I pointed out in particular already has a bigger comb with a tinge of color to it, plus those big ole feet. That said, I do tend toward being overly paranoid about all my peeps being cockerels, so I may just be seeing things because of that. 😅

Do you mean about the suspect cockerel? To be honest, I'm suspicious of both of the Splashes (and a few others), which may be why you're not seeing a difference in them. The one I pointed out in particular already has a bigger comb with a tinge of color to it, plus those big ole feet. That said, I do tend toward being overly paranoid about all my peeps being cockerels, so I may just be seeing things because of that. 😅

Yup, I was talking about the suspect cockerel. Indeed, both splashes look alike, but I don't want to give you any more worries:oops:.

I've completely given up on trying to guess before week 6🤣

View attachment 3797526

The keeper peepers:

View attachment 3797523

Judy booties:

View attachment 3797521View attachment 3797522

View attachment 3797524

View attachment 3797525
What a beautiful hatch! :love those Judy booties are tops!

Yup, I was talking about the suspect cockerel. Indeed, both splashes look alike, but I don't want to give you any more worries:oops:.

I've completely given up on trying to guess before week 6🤣

Haha, no worries, I already am worrying about it 🤣 Actually, I'm feeling right now like the 9 chicks are 5 cockerels and 4 pullets, but of course things can change a lot at this age.

That's the nice thing about the Cochins! I'm usually pretty confident of their sexes by 3-4 weeks old. 😁

What a beautiful hatch! :love those Judy booties are tops!

She made some awfully cute peeps :love I'm setting more from that coop on Sunday, but, with everyone in there laying at this point, I unfortunately won't be able to confidently say which ones are Judy booties and which aren't.

Haha, no worries, I already am worrying about it 🤣 Actually, I'm feeling right now like the 9 chicks are 5 cockerels and 4 pullets, but of course things can change a lot at this age.

That's the nice thing about the Cochins! I'm usually pretty confident of their sexes by 3-4 weeks old. 😁

She made some awfully cute peeps :love I'm setting more from that coop on Sunday, but, with everyone in there laying at this point, I unfortunately won't be able to confidently say which ones are Judy booties and which aren't.

Interesting! I think that's a normal age for serama sexing (we'll see what my experience will be), but the Tsouloufates take WAY longer. About the twice as long, to be exact! Cool to see that even though the birds I raise develop way faster, but don't show gender until later while the slow developing ones seem to show it at a young age

That's OK, I'll pick the cutest blues and splashes from the hatch and I'll know they are Judy booties!

Back
Top Bottom