Piperazine 17 for only 4 chickens

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
So I have scoured BYC to get info on worming with Piperazine 17 and got most of my answers.

I see that the recommendation is about 2 tablespoons of it in a gallon of water. Leave out for 24 hours and then go back to plain water. Repeat in 10-14 days. Don't eat eggs for 14 days after (which is fine by me since they aren't making eggs yet).

Anyway, this sounds all well and good except I only have 4 chickens. There is NO way they will come close to drinking that much water. So is that an issue? Or is it just that that is the correct ratio and each chicken will get the correct dose when she drinks it?

I'm assuming that the ratio of piperazine to water means that every time a chicken drinks, she is getting x amount of medication whether there are 4 chickens drinking from it or 40. Is that the case or do I need to worry about them getting enough in them?

I saw actual worms in one dropping. I saw it happen. There were several small earthwormy looking worms so I'm fairly confident it wasn't a tapeworm since I know those are flat. I haven't seen any worms since, but I don't want to take any chances.

Should I just follow the above recommendations and assume I'm good to go? Should I follow up with a broad spectrum wormer after? If so, do I do that after the first piperazine dose instead of the second one 10-14 days later or is it after the 2nd dose? I guess it's good to worm them now even though it will probably impact their first eggs (so I can't eat them), but I know those are teeny and sometimes "off" anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Bree

Last edited:
You can use 1/2 ounce piperazine per 1/2 gallon of water for your 4 chickens. You just cut everything in half with water and piperazine, it'll have the same effect on the roundworms. Two weeks later use Safeguard paste (fenbendazole.) It is an equine wormer that can be purchased at a feed store. Dosage is a "pea" size amount of paste to each chicken. It's easiest to put it on a small piece of bread and give a piece to each chicken. Again, discard eggs for another 2 weeks.

Should I be giving them vitamins as well?

Are you supposed to give them vitamins on a regular basis or is it only for sick birds?

My girls eat grower food now, but will switch to layer when this bag runs out (about 2 wks I guess). They eat fruit, oatmeal, tomatoes, BOSS, bugs, and grass.

Bree

Two or three days after worming them; provide them with plain yogurt or buttermilk(probiotics) with scrambled egg or canned beef catfood(extra protein) mixed in their feed to make a mash and give it to them for about 3 days. The mixture will rebuild their immune system and strength back up.

Thanks. I've been giving them yogurt anyway so maybe that will help.

Bree

Back
Top Bottom