PIP'ing (in wrong spot) question

MamaMarcy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2011
Snohomish, WA
I have one little Polish who made it to lockdown. The poor thing PIP'd today, but not into the air cell. She PIP'd right thru the side of the egg, below the air cell. Luckily she got all the way thru so is breathing.

Is this really bad?

Poor thing didn't make it. My first polish, but her beak looked "off" to me where the nose holes are. Her yolk had just finished absorbing. :-( I was quite certain she was gone before I began the egg-topsy, no movement or breathing and membrane veins were gone. No signs of life at all. When she came out of the egg she made 2 final little shallow gasps. I have no doubt she was almost there, and would not have made it. :(

sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif

hugs.gif
I'm sorry for your loss.

In my last hatch, one of my chicks pipped on the wrong side of the egg, leaving the air cell (whacky as it was) intact. She hatched through just fine, and is a perfectly healthy chick.

It sounds like yours maybe had some problems.

I'm lucky to have hatching at all. Of 69 eggs all placed within 2 weeks of each other I think we're only going to have 10 hatch out, and 2 that hatched died. :( Plus the one today.

Back
Top Bottom