Pipped but no zip!

Dvt1975

Songster
May 5, 2020
So out of 12 bearded Silkie eggs I have 6 hatched. Sadly two fully formed and dead int their shells. They appeared to pip but not zip.
I have removed all the chicks to the brooder.
there is one egg left. It has pipped but doesn’t seem to be doing anything.
i panicked after the two dead in shell ones and so I picked some of the shell. Tried to removed some of membrane and hit blood so stopped. Warm water I. Sponges at each side to compensate for op wing the incubator.
That was over four hours ago and there has been no progress. A lot of cheeping, I can see movement. But no zipping.
It’s nerve wracking isn’t it!
any advice gratefully received please xx

first pic was dead in shell. Second is pip but no zip. Thanks

Attachments

• 0236FA3E-EB32-4465-979D-34D297E52814.jpeg
    0236FA3E-EB32-4465-979D-34D297E52814.jpeg
    377.3 KB · Views: 99
  • AF3689E9-627E-491B-B652-5C373C0C9469.jpeg
    AF3689E9-627E-491B-B652-5C373C0C9469.jpeg
    518.8 KB · Views: 78
So out of 12 bearded Silkie eggs I have 6 hatched. Sadly two fully formed and dead int their shells. They appeared to pip but not zip.
I have removed all the chicks to the brooder.
there is one egg left. It has pipped but doesn’t seem to be doing anything.
i panicked after the two dead in shell ones and so I picked some of the shell. Tried to removed some of membrane and hit blood so stopped. Warm water I. Sponges at each side to compensate for op wing the incubator.
That was over four hours ago and there has been no progress. A lot of cheeping, I can see movement. But no zipping.
It’s nerve wracking isn’t it!
any advice gratefully received please xx

first pic was dead in shell. Second is pip but no zip. Thanks
What day is it on?

By the way the membranes look I say give it until 8PM, & it should be fully ready, if not it'll be ready late at night, or early in the morning.

I'm not really seeing blood vessels.

Was the blood red, if so it's not ready? If the blood you saw is a light, pink, colored then it's just residual, & the chick is ready.

Hi. The first picture is the pip and zip. Second one is the dead chick 😰
I’ve removed more shell and Looks like there are veins in the membrane still visible. Membrane seems really tough. I’ve popped some coconut oil on it. I’ve wrapped loosely in warm water and paper towel. Now I will leave alone :)

It’s moving very slightly and rhythmically. So I think that means it’s absorbing the yolk if there are still veins. It pipped about 1am. It’s 5pm now xxx
Thanks for your help ☺️

Hi. The first picture is the pip and zip. Second one is the dead chick 😰
I’ve removed more shell and Looks like there are veins in the membrane still visible. Membrane seems really tough. I’ve popped some coconut oil on it. I’ve wrapped loosely in warm water and paper towel. Now I will leave alone :)
You labeled the first one as the dead one.

Okay it's hard too tell.

Back
Top Bottom