Pipped but nothing. 1st ever hatch.

Chantalcluckcluck

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2019
Hi to you all the font of all chicken knowledge!! I have incubated my first clutch and ended up with 3 viable eggs. All were mailed so lots started to develop but lots stopped mid way though at differing points. My query however is that the two remaining eggs appear to be chirping, but have pipped the wrong end of the egg. One does not appear to have broken through the membrane either and despite a 75% humidity appears to be drying up? It's been 12 hours since pip and possibly longer as we notice it this morning upon waking. At what point do I intervene if at all? I have read the assisting hatch sticky post. The brown egg is a maran so quite rounded at both ends and the other is an EE but I'm not so worries about the latter.

I've attached two pics you can just about see the pencil line of the aircell and where they have both pipped. The 3rd pipped and zipped in just under an hour but it was all in the right position.

Attachments

• 20190829_192153.jpg
    20190829_192153.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190829_192204.jpg
    20190829_192204.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 15
I don’t see where they’ve pipped at the wrong end?

In my experience, after 12 hrs they should start zipping anytime now. As long as they are chirping all is okay for now. They are probably getting air just fine. If you listen closely you might also be able to hear if they start working on zipping the egg. It might be happening on a side of the egg you don’t have a clear view of.

I don’t see where they’ve pipped at the wrong end?

In my experience, after 12 hrs they should start zipping anytime now. As long as they are chirping all is okay for now. They are probably getting air just fine. If you listen closely you might also be able to hear if they start working on zipping the egg. It might be happening on a side of the egg you don’t have a clear view of.
Thank you. I'm in the UK so just woke up! Unfortunatley the maran egg is no further on and no chirping so I'm unsure if it still alive, I will get the other two out in a bit and see what I can do if it's not too late.

Fingers crossed. Hopefully it’s just resting. I’d carefully chip off shell on the air cell end a little bit at a time. It won’t hurt them. If you see veins still just make sure they have air. If careful you could make a hole so their beaks are out. Lightly coat the membrane with bacitracin or Vaseline, so it doesn’t dry out, but not over their beaks. Then put back into the incubator. Good luck!

Fingers crossed. Hopefully it’s just resting. I’d carefully chip off shell on the air cell end a little bit at a time. It won’t hurt them. If you see veins still just make sure they have air. If careful you could make a hole so their beaks are out. Lightly coat the membrane with bacitracin or Vaseline, so it doesn’t dry out, but not over their beaks. Then put back into the incubator. Good luck!
Thank you so much for the reply. I had to go to work so left nature to take it's own course. I came back to a 3rd chick! However what was REALLY interesting was the aircell was completely intact in the shell not broken at all. Probably why it took almost 37 hours from first pip to actually exiting its egg. It keeps sitting on its legs and trying to extend them so have given it some vitamins, probably a bit stiff after being stuck for quite so long. Thank you again!

Back
Top Bottom