pipped wrong end..duckling help with pic

Congrats on the babies making it out!

Just posting here for people who read in the future: ducklings love to get turned around and pip at the wrong end! I have a few every single hatch that do it, lol. It usually happens with big babies, like you mentioned--I think they just grow so big they can't turn around.

They're silly like that, but usually hatch just fine! Haven't lost one that pipped at the wrong end yet, so if one does die like that it's usually something internally that killed them, not the fact that they pipped at the wrong end. :)

I love all the different colors and spots!
Our male is black but has a lot of cool colors on his wing feathers. And hes HUGE lol
I like the color variations too and how their faces can be so different. What I like best is their personality and intelligence making them superior as a pet when compared to other ducks; my opinion. The biggest disadvantage is their huge appetite and poor foraging abilities. Mine just sit around waiting for me too feed them while the other ducks, often, don't even come at feeding time.

Congrats on the babies making it out!

Just posting here for people who read in the future: ducklings love to get turned around and pip at the wrong end! I have a few every single hatch that do it, lol. It usually happens with big babies, like you mentioned--I think they just grow so big they can't turn around.

They're silly like that, but usually hatch just fine! Haven't lost one that pipped at the wrong end yet, so if one does die like that it's usually something internally that killed them, not the fact that they pipped at the wrong end. :)
Thank you!

I like the color variations too and how their faces can be so different. What I like best is their personality and intelligence making them superior as a pet when compared to other ducks; my opinion. The biggest disadvantage is their huge appetite and poor foraging abilities. Mine just sit around waiting for me too feed them while the other ducks, often, don't even come at feeding time.
I actually had to temporarily section my ducks off from parts of my yard because they were tearing it up! I rarely have to fill their food bowls. However.. I am sure these ducklings I am raising right now will be a little more lazy lol.

side note! the triple nest hatched out 7 babes and they are all doing great! And holy moly those mamas are protective. 2 of them semi attacked me when I went to check their food and water. So away I stay!

My muscovy is a pet and minds little when I look at her eggs or ducklings. My little Call ducks are the vicious ones who fly into my face and bite hard.
I adopted the adult ducks back in October. They were hatched last spring so this was their first time hatching anything. I wish I had raised them from ducklings.. though with all these new ones, it may be easier to "start fresh".
The male muscovy is friendly, along with one of the females (when she is not broody).

I adopted the adult ducks back in October. They were hatched last spring so this was their first time hatching anything. I wish I had raised them from ducklings.. though with all these new ones, it may be easier to "start fresh".
The male muscovy is friendly, along with one of the females (when she is not broody).
Betty was an unfriendly adult when I got her last spring. Now she's a friendly nuisance that often comes to the backdoor looking for a handout.
mhad.jpg

Betty's first brood last May. She is currently brooding eggs that will hatch in the middle of January. If the weather turns real cold I'll raise the ducklings under supplemental heat. Here in TN, winter weather is unpredictable; Christmas Day was shorts and ts weather.

Betty was an unfriendly adult when I got her last spring. Now she's a friendly nuisance that often comes to the backdoor looking for a handout.View attachment 2944008
Betty's first brood last May. She is currently brooding eggs that will hatch in the middle of January. If the weather turns real cold I'll raise the ducklings under supplemental heat. Here in TN, winter weather is unpredictable; Christmas Day was shorts and ts weather.
How cute!! look at all those babies <3

So far they seem to be doing good outside (even with it being a little snowy but where I am at in WA it doesnt last long or stay too cold). Saw one roaming around in their area when I went out to feed them this morning! A little chocolate one.

Super side note... since I am so new to this I am wondering.. what in the world do I do with all these ducklings? I plan on keeping them for a bit but I do not think I have enough space for more then 15 ducks. Though I could be wrong there as well

I'm retired on a fixed income. Both my wife and I have costly health issues. We have both been pet crazy all our lives so we use our interest to supplement our income. A few breeds/species we have are just because we like them. Others pay for those that can't and give us enough money to be comfortable. The last few years the serama and the dogs have done way more than their share. Many times it is hard to part with...

Ducks don't require a lot of water as most think, but they do better as free range. Call ducks may be of interest to you. Small (one to two pounds at maturity), they don't have to have a lot of space. Our backyard, about an acre, is fenced for the critters.
sonny.jpg

I'm retired on a fixed income. Both my wife and I have costly health issues. We have both been pet crazy all our lives so we use our interest to supplement our income. A few breeds/species we have are just because we like them. Others pay for those that can't and give us enough money to be comfortable. The last few years the serama and the dogs have done way more than their share. Many times it is hard to part with...

Ducks don't require a lot of water as most think, but they do better as free range. Call ducks may be of interest to you. Small (one to two pounds at maturity), they don't have to have a lot of space. Our backyard, about an acre, is fenced for the critters.View attachment 2944391
Thank you for all the info!
I did not realize how little those guys were.

Back
Top Bottom