PIPPING and LOCKDOWN question

Grand-hen-ma

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Hudson Florida
Ok I am 6 days away from the 21st day. My question is, when to go into lockdown and do I need to do this if I have a hen hatching these eggs? Will mamma hen help with the hatching? Will she still keep them warm or are they on their own right after they hatch? What about food and water? The nexting box is about 3 foot off the ground. Should I put them all into a smaller cage to protect the babies from the other hens? I have chain link and I know the babies can slip right over into the pens with the bigger girls. I have some chicken wire I can put around the bottom. Any help is appreciated.

Momma hen will go on lockdown on her own. I would move the nest box to the ground in her own area. The chicks might fall out of the box. Momma will keep them warm, she will show them how to eat and drink. Try to keep an eye on her as they hatch, some momma's will kill the chicks. Most won't, but it is known to happen. Good luck with your babies!

Hi, Just found this site...am thinking of getting a couple of chickens. We have 3 non-aggressive dogs (two pomeranians and a lab) who already get along with our African gray parrot. The parrot wanders around the house and yard freely. If we were to get a couple chickens, does anyone have any recommendations about breeds of chickens that are not aggressive toward other birds (if they were to wander around the yard also), and very healthy? We would have them for egg-laying and as pets only. Am most concerned about their getting along with Albert, the African gray, as he is a gentle guy.

Quote:
I agree that the nest should be moved to ground level. Momma will take care. Good luck and have fun!!!
jumpy.gif
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
All birds are different with different personalities. Here are some good sites for breeds.
My Pet Chicken
FeatherSite
Henderson's Chicken Chart

Back
Top Bottom