pipping and zipping 2 days early!!! CRUNCHIE PICS!!

therealsilkiechick

ShowGirl Queen
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
Northwestern, pa
i put my eggs in the hatcher yeaterday from crunchie. there is w/c black polish in and cuckoo maran egg. i put them in the hatcher yesterday which was actually day 19 i forgot to move them on 18 like i was gonna got side tracted and had to go to apptments. i expected them to be a day late to hatch.

tonight DH said i'm gonna open the sportsman and see if the humidity is good see if it needs more water added before they start hatching. i said ok not thinking of it. he shuts it and says hey guess what i forgot i said what he said u got 2 pips!!
ep.gif
.........and 2 babies in the cartons, rotfl. i had a heart attache!!
woot.gif
i got 2 adorable and gorgous baby polish. dang u should see the topknots on these guys, looks like they have been hit on the head and got goose eggs,lol. got lots more pips of both breeds and more zipping, i can't believe they r all 2 days early!! there is 4 cuckoo in and 9 polish if i remember right.
fl.gif

here is the first 2 out of the hatcher all fluffed. my batteries r dieing so will getter pics soon as i can had to hurray and cover flash the brod light was to bright.
thank you for my new babies we love them!!
silkie

HPIM1607.jpg

HPIM1609.jpg

thank you!
smile.png
they r very healthy and lively little ones,lol. there is another polish in the brooder with them now. first ones r already weeble wobbleing around starting to try to walk already and chirping away.

i got a maran trying to un zip now not for sure how many r pipped but i think there was 13 eggs and at least half mabe more r pipped already, don't want to keep door open to long to check i don't have a window to peek through.

i've never had more than 2 babies in any hatch pip and hatch a day early so i was really surprised. it has been raining all day and pretty warm in the house mabe that's why they were so early. my best hatches is always when it storms and rains out. bellies r perfectly absorbed and zipping out great on thir own. for those who wanted to know we r useing the carton method again for this hatch. it is about our 5th or 6th hatch useing them now.

off to bed it's late will update pics and how many babies i got hatched in the morning.
silkie

woke up to 3 more polish babies and my first maran baby!! all r doing great and beautiful. ok now i know ur suppost to tell the sex of a maran by light and dark and spot on the heads so how does that work? r girls lighter boys darker or vice versa? who has the spot on head a boy like a barred rock does?

forgot to tell ya all when candled to go to hatcher on day 19 all 9 polish candled fertile so 6 babies of those so far and marans i couldn't tell on them 4 so they all went in. marans have 1 out and 2 at least pipped i saw when snagging babies out to move to brooder.

i'm going t find my charger so i can take more pics and plug my batteries in they are just way to gorgous to not share pics of all my new little cuties!!!
silkie

YAY!!! TOO COOL!!
wee.gif
thanks for sharing the pics. I can't wait to see more!! I'll have to go out to the pens and tell everyone that they are parents...again!!
lol.png
I love the Polish chicks, they are so much fun, aren't they??

You know, these guys seem to hatch a bit early for me, too. I never thought about it, but I wonder if it's the breed? This last time they all started pipping on what I was counting as my day 20, and I had a couple hatch then, too. I didn't think anything of it because it was sort of day 21--but I had set the eggs late that evening so I had counted the next day as day 1...

When you can post pics of the Marans chicks I should be able to tell you the sex. But I'll have to see them. The males are noticeably lighter than the females--if you can't tell right away, you will in a week or so when they start feathering out. I'm hoping that you got all of my pullets, because darn if I didn't get a ton of ROOS this last hatch!!
lol.png
You know, you're supposed to be able to tell the sex of the Polish chicks by their crests, too. The males' crests will be flatter in the back; the females will be more rounded. But I'm no good at telling this way. I stare and stare at all of my chicks...I can't tell.
idunno.gif
If I had to guess I'd say they all looked like roos.
roll.png
Would be my luck...

got some more pics for ya total now is 1 maran and 7 polish with 2 pipped marans still at least.

i have never hatched standard polish before only bantam frizzles and bantam w/c blues. my other blues, blacks and red/c reds i got from ideal. i think they've all hatched day 21-23 if i remember right but that was last year and year before so kinda hard to remember now,lol.

the maran is in front right of the pics. it looks really drk to me but since only one hatched that's a guess,lol. yes polish u can tell by that but u have to wait till adult feathers on head r in. on them i go by how fast the wing feathers grow and by size when they r a few days old. when they start to grow in girls are bigger in size and longer feathering in faster. boys r smaller with shorter feathers that grow slower. after they hit about a week or so old ya can't tell boys catch up so i got by crest after that.

HPIM1610.jpg

HPIM1611.jpg

Last edited:
Oh congrats--that Marans is a girl!!
jumpy.gif
Does she have feathered shanks?? All of my breeders do, but I did hatch a couple of chicks that don't--I suppose the gene is recessive. They did come from lines that were mostly feather-shanked, but there were some clean-legged in the flock so that gene is floating around in there somewhere.

they all are really healthy and gorgous babies and i do want to thank you again for our new babies!! we all love them!!
love.gif
kid's are excited and totally thrilled!!!

i just peek in the bator to check humidity guess what 3 pipped marans now ya know what that means??? 100% fertile on ur shipped eggs for the first set, rotfl. now lets hope they all make it
fl.gif
. i'm excited to see how 2nd batch does too.

i'm hopeing 1 boy and rest girls for the marans,lol. that is a great sign first one is a beautiful little girl!!
wee.gif
nope she is not feather footed she is clean legged. i was gonna ask ya that and forgot too. i'm thrilled with any that make it so we have choc layers so i'm not worried weather they do or not either or both whatever they come out is perfect!!

by the way all the polish have excellent topknots, never seen them that big or good on most polish i've had let alone that many in one batch. they will be outstanding to see when grown awesome stock u have and i hope mine grow up to be as gorgous as ur breeders are.
smile.png

silkie

something is wrong with my humidity although it is reading right. babies r comeing out real sticky or getting majorly stuck and glued to shells after hours of no progressing i helped them. 3 babies made it 3 didn't. so i have a total of 7 baby polish out of 9 eggs and 3 marans out of 4 eggs.

last maran pipped but was glued to egg i waited to long to help it and must have died a few hours ago aftr i last checked. i put a small hole it top of last 2 polish eggs and they were dead but never pipped looks like they died this am. so first batch from u is done with 10 awesome babies!!! last 3 r in the hatcher drying but r fine bellies all closed just sticky as can be.

i can't believe what a great hatch rate on these since they were shipped been a long time since i have had that good of a hatch on shipped and i thank you again for my little swetties!! once the others r in the brooder i'll take a few pics again. alot of the babies r up and walking around and eating great and most r drinking already!!
silkie

Back
Top Bottom